FS Tape-based Gear

tomteriffic

Now that it's cold out, it's time to clean out what eventually will become my music room in my new house. I've been accumulating gear for nearly 30 years and I'm going through some stuff and in the foreseeable future will have a pile of recording, guitar, and computer-oriented stuff, most of it at 'get it out of my face' pricing.

I'd rather not tote these to the guitar show so, here goes:

#1 Fostex RD-8 professional ADAT recorder. This is the Big Kahuna of ADATs, with full sync capabilities for both other ADAT's as well as the Sony 9-pin video protocol. MIDI I/O and a scad of other connectivity. This one recorded one live show and transferred selected cuts to the computer. That's it. Maybe 50 hours total on the heads. Comes with manual and remote. Uses Super VHS tape. Toss in an extra $25 and I'll include the hard to find DB-25 to 1/4" cables for using the balanced I/O.

Very low miles, but the bottom row of the LCD display doesn't work. This is a dirt-cheap way to get into recording, mix audio in sync with video, etc., etc. Originally had a street price of around $2,300. $150 plus shipping and it's yours. Toss in $25 for the cables (I have some potential other uses for them).

100_2279.jpg

100_2281.jpg

100_2284.jpg

#2. Tascam DA30- MkII DAT Machine. Similarly low hours, was used almost exclusively in the Record/Pause mode to access the A/D and D/A convertors. Has the manual, never had the remote. $100 plus shipping and it's yours. Pro-grade machine in excellent condition. Original street price was around a grand.

100_2285.jpg

100_2287.jpg

The Fine Print These machines served me well and were working when removed from service. I can't guarantee any more than that. Except for the LCD issue noted on the Fostex, I'm not aware of any other problems or issues. I don't even have tapes for these things any more, so I can't even check them out properly. Excepting minor rack rash, they are in excellent physical condition. I pack to withstand regional conflicts, if not all-out wars. No experience or references here, but you can ask any ten members of The Hamer Fan Club at random and get a good reference. Satisfactory deals also done at The Gear Page, TechIMO and The Hamer Museum.

Email:tomteriffic@earthlink.net

The Tascam went byebye almost immediately.

As for the Fostex, 8 overbuilt digital tracks for $150 is stupid. Get started in recording or expand your ADAT rig (and add a master synchronizer) for peanuts. :D

Back