FS: Oktava ML-52-02 "acoustically" modified.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brad347

I also have this listed on the tape op forum. I know I'm new to this forum but you can check my ebay feedback under jazz347.

Okay so a year ago or so I bought this Oktava ML52-02.

I got inside and removed the heavy mesh blast screening from the inside grille, and replaced it with some small pieces of sheerer mesh directly over the ribbon motor element. This could actually also easily be removed and would probably have no adverse effects if you were careful, but I was always very cautious with this mic.

Anyway, this course of action opened up the sound of the ribbon quite a bit. It's still relatively dark, but has a nice 'air' about it now that it didn't have before. It's a great mic with lots of character.

I've since gotten an RCA SK-50 Varacoustic ribbon that I had re-ribboned and had the transformer replaced and it pretty much does what the ML-52-02 did, so I haven't been using the Oktava. It served me well and I used it a bit, it was always a nice color on acoustic guitars and I used it as a mono drum overhead once with great results. I tried it on lots of things. It was perfect for taming bright aux. percussion like tambourines, etc. Now it's time to move it on to free up some money for some other stuff I've been needing.

I think I gave $250 for it. It comes with the sturdy padded case.

How about $200 plus 10 bux to ship anywhere in the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back