Frustrated by Adobe

PTravel

Senior Senior Member
I use both Audition 3.0 and CS6. I like CS6 for mixing, 3.0 for mastering and CD burning. I also have dozens of projects mixed in 3.0 and, even with a tool like SES3SEX, they don't convert well to CS6.

A couple of weeks ago, my computer contracted a virus (probably thanks to my wife, but that's another story). It was particularly pernicious, so I decided I would just re-install the OS and reload all of my software. I finished last week and, this Friday, decided I wanted to work on one my 3.0 projects. That's when the fun began.

I had deactivated all of my Adobe software, so I anticipated no problems reactivating 3.0. Boy, was I wrong! I loaded the software, went to the activation screen and selected "activate on-line." I received an error message saying, "The Activation Server is unavailable." Okay, I'll just do phone activation. I call the listed phone number, laboriously punch in all the digits for my serial number, all the digits for the machine ID, and receive an error message: "Activation failed." I tried again. Same result. I have two 3.0 license (long story), so I uninstalled the first copy and tried the second. Same routine, same result, except this time, when I cancelled activation, the software told me, "Your trial period has expired. Please purchase the software."

I called again, failed again and was offered the opportunity to be connected to an activation support technician. I selected that option and, after several minutes, received a recording telling me that Adobe's support hours were Monday through Friday.

I waited until this morning, Monday, and called again, went through the same failed phone activation and finally was connected through to activation support. The robo-answerer offered 5 selections -- the 5th was for activating any products not identified in the other 4 selections. I pressed 5 and was rewarded with a recording that said, "phone support for your product is not available on-line -- please go to adobe.com/go/activation." I did that and was instructed to use the "chat" function. I selected "chat," and received a screen telling me, "All representatives are busy. There are 7 people ahead of you."

I had to leave for work by this time, so once I reached my office I opened my browser, went back to the site, and selected chat. This time there was only 1 person ahead of me.

After several minutes someone came on-line in chat and I explained the situation. Once again, I had to enter my serial number and machine ID information. Here's the redacted conversation:

Ahmed_Ziya: Thank you for contacting Adobe chat support, my name is Ahmed, I have received your query. Please
allow me a moment to review the details of your request.
Paul: Okay.
Ahmed_Ziya: So if I understand the problem correctly, you are not able to activate your product on your machine.
Ahmed_Ziya: Right?
Paul: That's correct.
Ahmed_Ziya: I will surely help you with your concern.
Ahmed_Ziya: May I please have your email address registered with Adobe?
Paul: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Ahmed_Ziya: Thank you. Can I also have the serial number for the product?
Paul: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX-XXXX
Paul: Wait, I mis-typed
Ahmed_Ziya: Thank you for the information. One moment while I look into your customer record.
Paul: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
Ahmed_Ziya: Thank you
Ahmed_Ziya: Can you please tell me that what is the exact error message that you see on your screen?
Paul: Activation server not on-line. Then I tried phone activation.
Ahmed_Ziya: All right!
Ahmed_Ziya: Paul, I would like to inform you that Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products,
including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago.
Paul: I don't care about that. I just need to get this activated, and phone activation failed. If you look at my purchase
history, you'll see that I have TWO licenses for Audition 3.0. Neither serial number will activate. This is software I
bought and paid for, I wanted to use it this weekend and I couldn't.
Ahmed_Ziya: Here are the steps to Activate the product on your machine:
Ahmed_Ziya: 1-Please remove/uninstall older version installed on your machine
[Remainder of steps deleted]

I had to re-download more than one gig of software, re-install it and then use a different serial number that was supplied to me. I tried it out on my laptop here at work and it did install and activate.

This is ridiculous. I wasted a whole weekend when I could have been mixing, and then at least another hour, just to activate software that I had already purchased. Twice!

Adobe, I'm using 7 year old software because subsequent versions of Audition (at least until 6.0) were complete garbage, removing key features that I needed and making it impossible to work with on-going projects. I should not have to waste so much time and energy simply to use a product I already own.

It doesn't help that, from reading the Adobe user to user forums, their call centres seem to know less about what's going on than some of the regular users.

Back