fruity and the prob. of having no money

Christian

At the moment I record on an analogue Yamaha MT4X (trying to figure out how I can do it all on my new computer for free...) anyway I got really good sound with fruity loops using some samples piped in from my old Casio keyboard (!)

HOWEVER I have virtually no money at the moment to spend on drums software....and so I only use the *shareware* version of fruity loops

....the BIG problem with this is it only allows 4 samples...which means kick, snare, high hat, and crash.....but what about when I want a thom roll??? :-(

the OTHER problem with fruity loops in general is that you can't seem to get a 3-beats-in-the-bar rhythymn, let alone something more complex....just your basic 4/4 - what if I need a triplet drum roll???? :-( I'm really surprised there are so many people recommending it, when to my knowledge, it can't do anything other than your basic time signature

Any advice would be gratefully received - thanks people :(

yep.....

christian -

I absolutely agree with ya regarding fruity loops...it is fairly limited as compared to other 'drum machines' (at least the ones that I've played around with)...especially if you want to program beats in odd times, etc.

I remember someone posting a method to do triplets with Fruity Loops...a link to the thread is below...

https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=28904&highlight=fruity

Here's a drum machine that apparently is a bit more 'robust' than fruity loops (I've never used it but have heard good things):
http://spacetimefoam.com/Algorhythm/default.htm

have fun
pratt

Spend some time in the Borders or Barnes&Noble cafe and read through "Computer Music" magazine... they've been running tutorials (they call them 'master classes') for FruityLoops and other software.

Thanks for the replies guys

Pratt that thread you pointed me to was very useful. I've just about mastered the triplet thing now, although it's certainly not that straight forward. To save people looking it up themselves, here's PeteAnon's advice:

"Select a channel, say your snare, and then press the graph editor button.

A little bar graph pops up, with a bar of the graph for each step. With this you can control:
[...]
Triplets! It took me a while to figure this out.... one thing that seemed like a major flaw in FL was an innability to play triplets. You can actually create hits completely out of time, if you want-- makes it sound much more real (human!). On the very same graph editor, choose "Shift" [slide the slider across]. This allows you to time-shift any snare hit in the channel.

Here's how you do triplets-- highlight the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd sixteenth note of the first beat in the measure (on one channel, say the snare). Then, with the graph editor, shift the 2nd sixteenth note [up] by 1/3 of a sixteenth note, and shift the 3rd sixteenth note by 2/3 a sixteenth note. " [end quote]

only problem for me is that the graph seems to come up over the top of some of the tracks down the screen I'd like to edit so I can't get at them

Anyway that same thread pointed me towards some great samples - so thank you.

I have to retract most of what I said in my original post about FruityLoops: the latest demo version is NOT limited to 4 drum tracks - you can have a whole load of them - yay! and it IS kind of possible to do triplets. HOWEVER, what makes it a demo is that you can't save anything, which kind of sucks if your computer crashes. However, you can still export things as .wav files so I'm in business!

I think it's time for me to leave the good old 4T analogue days behind, and use the FL .wav files in ProTools which I just downloaded - so any advice as i try to do that for the 1st time would also be appreciated.

Thanks so much you guys

:cool:

Back