FrugalGuitarist.com May issue is up!

wbcsound

Ladies and gents,

After a server crash losing the entire May issue and a change of hosting services, the May issue is finally up. There a re still a few typos and formatting issues, but I put it up anyway. Be sure to stop by and check it out!

www.FrugalGuitarist.com

Another provocative editorial my good friend.;)

If your after some unbiased reporting on the human rights issues surrounding China's history and specifically current issues and the Olympics, try Amnesty

Thanks for the feedback. I have margins set for everything on the page via CSS. Could you please be more specific?

Sure, so this is coming from a guy who builds transactional web systems and websites for a bank, although I'm a "user experience" guy, rather than an "IT" guy.

I'm looking at your editorial page and I notice that all the text slams up really hard against the margins, as does the text in the "teaser" column to the right. The yellow column to the left appears to have more space.

The overall effect is of crowding and claustrophobia, and that makes the page more difficult to read than necesssary. If you can push the edges of the text away from the borders by (<cellpadding> or any method) another three or four pixels on all sides, you'll have a much more attractive page.

I would also split the 2nd and 4th paragraphs, as large blocks of text lower general readability.

And while I'm here, your body text is TNR font and your outer columns look like an Arial or similar, so you're mixing serif and sans serif fonts on the one page. Again, it just makes it look a little scrappy. Personally I hate TNR font, so I notice it wherever I see it. I don't think it looks good on the web, but that's a personal opinion.

And one more thing... perhaps a border of sorts around your picture.. see you have whitespace to the left but none on top where it bleeds into the menu structure, and your menu bar is the same colour as the picture (black) at the top, so it lacks definition.

Did I say, just one more thing...here's another one.. your title - there are a couple of issues here - it loses definition because it's bent over two lines - if it were me, I'd move the picture down and put the title right across the top, which solves the border thing I mentioned in the last paragraph. If you don't want to do that, then centre justify the title and it'll be easier to read.

My opinion, and $3.00, will get you a coffee of course, so entirely up to you.

Luck ;)

Sure, so this is coming from a guy who builds transactional web systems and websites for a bank, although I'm a "user experience" guy, rather than an "IT" guy.

I'm looking at your editorial page and I notice that all the text slams up really hard against the margins, as does the text in the "teaser" column to the right. The yellow column to the left appears to have more space.

The overall effect is of crowding and claustrophobia, and that makes the page more difficult to read than necesssary. If you can push the edges of the text away from the borders by (<cellpadding> or any method) another three or four pixels on all sides, you'll have a much more attractive page.

I would also split the 2nd and 4th paragraphs, as large blocks of text lower general readability.

And while I'm here, your body text is TNR font and your outer columns look like an Arial or similar, so you're mixing serif and sans serif fonts on the one page. Again, it just makes it look a little scrappy. Personally I hate TNR font, so I notice it wherever I see it. I don't think it looks good on the web, but that's a personal opinion.

And one more thing... perhaps a border of sorts around your picture.. see you have whitespace to the left but none on top where it bleeds into the menu structure, and your menu bar is the same colour as the picture (black) at the top, so it lacks definition.

Did I say, just one more thing...here's another one.. your title - there are a couple of issues here - it loses definition because it's bent over two lines - if it were me, I'd move the picture down and put the title right across the top, which solves the border thing I mentioned in the last paragraph. If you don't want to do that, then centre justify the title and it'll be easier to read.

My opinion, and $3.00, will get you a coffee of course, so entirely up to you.

Luck ;)

Me too.

No seriously.

I build transactional web systems and websites for a large financial services firm. 75% UI, 25% IT.

Right on about the TNR. It's too easy NOT TO use it with CSS. And definitely some padding.

Also, I'm assuming the drop down menu in the header is javascript. It doesn't work in Safari. I don't mean javascript doesn't work in Safari, it does & I use it all the time; I just mean the javascript on your site isn't hanging so well with Safari. (We have to check out in Firefox, IE, Safari & Netscape--so it's a habit.)

wbcsound: don't take it personally. It's hard for folks like us not to notice these things. Shoot me a PM if you want to talk about tweaking the design & interface. Or feel free to run with any or all of what you've heard here.

Armistice: We should talk shop sometime...or maybe not, it's just work. But still an interesting coincidence...

Thanks so much guys! I don't take anything personally and really do appreciate the feedback. With each issue, I learn a little more and try to incorporate as much feedback as I can into the site design.

For navigation, I'm using an ASP.net menu configured as a user control loading at runtime. Someone notified me it doesn't work in Safari so I'm working on an alternative.

Thanks so much guys! I don't take anything personally and really do appreciate the feedback. With each issue, I learn a little more and try to incorporate as much feedback as I can into the site design.

For navigation, I'm using an ASP.net menu configured as a user control loading at runtime. Someone notified me it doesn't work in Safari so I'm working on an alternative.

Like I said, I'm 75% UI, 25% IT--so I don't know the details. But I do know that all our transactional sites are built with C#/ASP.net, and they work in Safari. So you might not have to scrap it--there might just be some Safari tweaks for the ASP.net controls. I dunno...

Thanks for the link!

You're either incredibly cocky, or, (as I've begun to suspect the more you post here) very sincere about looking for constructive criticism. :p If so, I applaud you for it, man. :)

On your editorial, I think another thing worth considering is the abysmal track record on environmental issues you're seeing in developing nations, and the sacrifices they're making in the name of the business bottom line. There's a lot of discussion about who's "at fault" for the rising CO2 emmissions between the first world and third world economies, with the third world pointing to their per capita emissions relative to the united states as grounds that we had no right telling them what to do considering how much worse we were. It's actually a pretty persuasive argument that I bought until I spent two months in India on business. I was there just after the conclusion of the rainy season, with sunlight almost every single day, yet I never even managed to get a sunburn because the air was so bad due to all the pollution. At some level, you still need to consider total emissions as a basis for comparison, and more importantly the reason the United States is high and will most likely always be so is the way we've built our entire infastructure around the automobile, with most people living far from their workplaces and having limited public transport, in favor of a network of highways. This is a completely unsustainable model, and one that the third world has a chance to get right in the first place rather than following us on the mistakes we've already made. A little more pressure to reform their CO2 emissions now would go a long way towards seeing that happen.

Where I'm going with this is that right now there's a strong "the ends justify the means" emphasis on Chinese production. It's not uncommon for factories simply to be abandoned rather than upgraded after a year or two, because it's faster to build from the ground up, and you keep hearing horror stories like the infamous case where tea leaves were being dried by driving jeeps over them as a heat source, to speed production. All of this stuff is not without environmental impact...

Meanwhile, you've got guys like Bob Taylor actively exploring alternative tonewoods that can be ecologically harvested and sustainably grown. Sure, a Taylor costs a HECK of a lot more than a Chinese acoustic, but if we don't address the concept of sustainability today, then in 20 years we're going to HAVE to because it'll no longer be possible to produce an affordable acoustic at that price point because the traditional resources won't be available any more.

I realize this is all way above the scope of your online mag, but I did want to talk about the other side of that - that maybe it's true that people and not governments make guitars, but if I have to chose between a person making informed, ecologically sound decisions about wood harvesting and preparation and one just trying to cut costs and get the product to the consumer as cheaply as possible, environment be damned, I can't with a clear conscience recommend dealing with the second guy, you know?

Unrelated notes - maybe it's just my browser (Opera 9.26 here) and you've already done this, but if you could imbed links within the "cover" image, behind the text, to go to the articles you're referencing, it'd be way more user friendly. Also, are you archiving your editorials? I didn't really look, but under "Editorials" there was just a single "Editorial" link.

Cheers for the Agile review, by the way - their sevens are getting quite popular over at www.sevenstring.org, and they're starting to get a bit more presence (the Cynic myspace shows their new guitarist gigging with an Agile 7). I'm curious to check one out, but I haven't yet gotten the comfort level to pull the trigger on one. That said, if they release a 25.5" with a maple board and a trem (there's a hardtail one out now), I'll probably go for it. :D

Yes, I appreciate any and all feedback. I'm not always right. In fact I'm often wrong. But I'm not afraid to be wrong. And I'd rather wear my mistakes like medals of honor than pretend my point of view is the only point of view.

You're absolutely correct in your staement regarding Taylor, I love his stance on "green" guitars and alternative tone woods. I wish he was open mined to experimenting with completely alternative materials. You'd think from a company which went complete against tradition by implementing a bolt on acoustic would look into other radical production methodologies. On the other hand, there's nothing techinically stopping him from moving production to different locations to lower labor costs while still enforcing a high standard of quality.

Regarding poolution, I had a similiar experience regarding pollution in Beijing back in the late 90's. My eyes burned every morning when I went outside until I adjusted. I returned in 2006 and they have taken many steps to reduce pollution in Beijing (outlawing motorcycles was a big help).

You're 100% right about the environmental track records of developing nations. Very poor. Then again, who was regulating America when we were a "developing" nation? And of course, only the negative stuff makes the American press. There's a great documentary about a Chinese environmental lawyer who's fighting the industrial machine in China. I can't remember his name. I'll have to look it up. An excellent expose on the plight of the poor in rural areas of China. Not entirely dissimiliar from pre TVA America.

Regarding design. Image links are a great idea that I know I need to implement. I'll get there eventually. And you can read any issue by hovering over "home" on the navigation menu and selecting a previous issue. Another "feature" which isn't as intuitive as it should be.

Back