from where to begin

Fuzznut

Searcher
Hello! A while since I've been here!

Remixed a demo song from few years back. I was going for some lofi-tape-effect-sound(?).

Bounced the whole thing to tape and brought back to DAW and mixed it. Got an Fostex R8 1/4" 8-track that had been sitting unused for years that needed loving care. Anyway now listening it again the mix seemed a bit bass heavy?

Hello! A while since I've been here!

Remixed a demo song from few years back. I was going for some lofi-tape-effect-sound(?).

Bounced the whole thing to tape and brought back to DAW and mixed it. Got an Fostex R8 1/4" 8-track that had been sitting unused for years that needed loving care. Anyway now listening it again the mix seemed a bit bass heavy?

I was listening to it before I even read your own critique (I love how quick the soundcloud links load for me).... I don't like the hiss tape sound in the beginning. It blends in the mix fine, but before the music kicks off it's just more white noise.

I'm not sure if it is all the bass, or just the overall low end frequency, but I'd thin out the left ear a bit - and maybe pull the right a couple of clicks back toward the middle... not a lot, just to blend more.

I love the tone of the lead guitar. Tones really pull at me. This tone is good for both happy and sad songs... it is good! ... plus, it starts with a Jack Johnson-esque vibe right after the little intro that's pretty nice.

Love the oooohs in the background.

If you pushed your lead vocal slightly further toward the right, that might also fix the bass blend? ... not sure about that, but I'd experiment with it.

I was listening to it before I even read your own critique (I love how quick the soundcloud links load for me).... I don't like the hiss tape sound in the beginning. It blends in the mix fine, but before the music kicks off it's just more white noise.

I'm not sure if it is all the bass, or just the overall low end frequency, but I'd thin out the left ear a bit - and maybe pull the right a couple of clicks back toward the middle... not a lot, just to blend more.

I love the tone of the lead guitar. Tones really pull at me. This tone is good for both happy and sad songs... it is good! ... plus, it starts with a Jack Johnson-esque vibe right after the little intro that's pretty nice.

Love the oooohs in the background.

If you pushed your lead vocal slightly further toward the right, that might also fix the bass blend? ... not sure about that, but I'd experiment with it.

I know what you mean about the blend. Especially now when I listened it with headphones on. The left guitar is a bit buried, muddy. The left guitar is brighter by design so it sits on top of the rhythm. Wouln't hurt to balance them more.

I had hard time with the guitar tone at first but I think the tape smoothed it out nicely with outboard EQ. The tone is basically retro style, blues based so it fits into many emotional ranges :)

Thanks for the comment, very much appreciated!

Especially like the Hendrix guitar in the right and the tone of the solo. Vocals remind me little of the singer of the EF band. Good.

Back