From the vaults...

Pedullist

Stop it, I can't breathe
I'm too busy working, so I can't make or post new stuff at the moment. So...

Check out some old instead....Edgar1 (or Edgar2, if you like to hear an early attempt of me singing). These were birthday presents for Edgar (the guy who sang Verlegen).

Especially Edgar1 is very different from what I'm currently making. Could be interesting to listen to I think, for some people.

I can't remix these songs unfortunately, I lost all tracks during 'the big infamous hard disk crash of 2001'. :( I nearly lost a whole album worth of songs (about 4Gb of audiotracks) due to a screwed up hd header. So guys....please always BACKUP YOUR STUFF. You have NO IDEA how painful it is to lose all your hard work. Did I cry? Yes, I think I did!

Edgar1:

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2639&alid=-1

(Sonja1 and Sonja2 btw, were birthday presents for my wife, and an early indication of which direction I was heading: an easier type of pop music)

(this is all recorded with an ugly Zoom guitarprocessor, an old Washburn guitar I borrowed from a friend, an ancient PC and a SBLive)

Last edited:
This was the one i checked out from your site. Really like that almost classical instrumentation feel to this. Great stuff Ped.

I know what you went through losing the material, it happened to me earlier this year. At first i was upset but then i said "crunch all ya want, we'll make more!"

Watch out what you say about those Zooms, there are some real gems on them. I just realized i prefer my lead tones from my zoom over my amps and pod (and it's tiny too, size of a white castle).

Good luck with work Ped.

Great stuff Tjarko!
Edgar 1 was my favorite.
I've had Sonja2 on my hard drive for a while but never realized you were saying "Sonja mmm bop". If I was your wife I'd be scared of you!

fprod south said:
I've had Sonja2 on my hard drive for a while but never realized you were saying "Sonja mmm bop". If I was your wife I'd be scared of you!

LOL! Thanks! I'm actually scared of my wife.

The mmm bop is by no means a reference to Hanson btw... :)

Khompy, thanks too!

Edgar1 is a cool quirky song.

The first thing that struck me was that things were VERY well played. Good musicianship all around. Things are all sitting well with each other. Good tone on everything. The bass was good and punchy.

I thought Edgar2 was going to be a remix. OK, so it wasn't :).

Cool harmonies. Again great bass sound and playing. I swear I heard a word or two of English in there - something sounded like "you stick your neck out." :D

Good stuff.

Oh No You Didn't,

DUUUUUUUUUUdddddddddddeeeeeeeeee

That was incredible. I have a lot of practicing to do. This reminds me of when my girl brought Big Willy...who is now in the vaults...and I compared it to myself...very humbling. (just think about it)

You are the absolute best I've heard on these boards...if anyone knows of any other pro sounding home enthusiasts let me know.

I'm so new I don't even know what kind of questions to ask you.

just call me grasshopper Wise One

DustyJack

Wow, that was really tight. The bass sounded really nice. Some real nice tones across the board. Nice progression. Nice space. Good work Ped. I am very impressed.

It did have your signature sound if I had to guess who this was. ;) :)

If I had my druthers I would have gone without that "snare" sound 1:56 through 3:04, but that is totally a style/preference thing.

Nice one!

Edgar1

Man that carries me through some emotional upheaval! It gets downright orchestral - like Bartok meets the electrician!
I even like the drum sounds here. I have no idea how you thought this out. I haven't heard a lot of your tunes - I need to listen some more - you visit some interesting headspaces - and I mean that as complimentary as I can be - it's cool. Awesome playing - but we already know that!! No mix issues from me - you're way ahead of me there, bro!! Super cool, man - I enjoyed that ride!!
Milan

Bump. You know my thoughts but I'm glad you posted it. I love adventurous music like this!

I'm really digging this. Your instrumental music that I have heard really has a "Ped" stamp on them (I remember the old 4-track that you put up a few months back that has a similar feel) ... Very well played and I love the "orchestral" feel to the entire piece!

This rocks! I bet you could work wonders with a remake of Classical Gas!

:D

Edgar 1 - good tunes! progressive rock might be a better genre than Metal.. great stuff either way.. great drum programming, although I think you could use some different snare samples.. even thought the velocity sounds great on the fills, they sound like the same sample just softer and louder.. easy to tell they're programmed.. your a good guitar player as well as the other stuff.. excellent songs..

Edgar 2 - yeah, I can hear some english mixed in there.. great rhythm.. WOW! I like it a lot.. do you program the keyboards? some of the cymbals seem a bit too dynamic maybe.. very good stuff Pedoodist!

TripleM: thanks....english and dutch are much a like. I'm actually saying 'je steekt je nek uit', and you translated it very literally but it's totally correct. A good english translation would be (thanks Sonja - my wife - for the translation): 'you go out on a limb'.

DustyJack: haha, thanks. Welcome to the board! There are lots people who do similar stuff but much better so please check them out (no, I'm not going to tell you who they are....I want you discover some other nice music by wonderful people on your search to find them)

skids: thanks....
style/preference thing
yes, and no. It was a budget thing too. I used only free soundfonts (I didn't know about Drums From Hell or Blue Jay), and I wanted a big snare. This was the only one I could find. LOL. :D

MC Gitarz: you win the 'guess the hidden influence' award. Bartók is and was a huge influence indeed. I was also totally into Meshuggah/Thornendal & King Crimson at the time.

SLuiCe: thanks, bud!

boydrj: the Ped stamp! Hehe, cool. Must be the influence of folkmusic from the balkans (and the cister). I grew up with that kinda music.

B.SABBATH: thanks B.! See comment Skids on the snare sound. I programmed them SLuiCe style (note by note). The kit I found on the net didn't have any good sounding toms so I didn't use them (hence the weird snare fills) and the cymbals sounded awful too. And yes, back then I programmed the keyboards. Nowadays I've learned enough to play them real time but back then the keyboard keys were one big mystery to me. So, the keyboards were programmed note by note as well. That explains the totally weird fill at the end of Edgar2. Influenced by Zappa big time. :)

Toki987: thanks! It was a lot of work.

Edgar 1:

I dig odd time sigs! Tremelo too.:cool:

Pretty good sounds for a Zoom. You managed to avoid the digital distortion fuzz.

Nice programming.

Edgar 2:

Damn that's a hot mix! :eek: Wouldn't be suprised if there's more than a few overs in there.

Is that a mando in there? :cool: Nice pickin'!

Whoah, did Frank sneak up behind you at 4:03? :D

Did I mention the bass in both these tunes is great? ;)

Funny you should bring up the backup issue. I've spent most of the afternoon burning disks of my files. I really need to get a better backup medium like a big ol' Firewire drive. It takes a while to burn 40GB in 700MB chunks at 12X :rolleyes:

In the digital world if it doesn't exist in at least two places it doesn't exist. Though I've only had 1 drive failure in 5 years - reaches over and knocks on guitar - my backups have saved my ass a few times.:cool:

Back