From The Mist

This stuff is good

You do need to bring the vocals up. The singer also needs to watch her diction just a bit. I still have no idea what she says in the first phrase.

Overall the sound is good, just cleanup and bring up the vocals.

i like this song... a lot.

the only thing that jumped out at me was the wood block in the chorus sections. a little too up front. more ambience or less level is needed... it just needs to ride farther back.

now for the "if it was me" suggestions, and this is in no way to say you should do it this way, but it is how I'm hearing this song.

more 'room'. i'm thinking coffee house type stuff. a little 'verb on the drums and the guitar and the vox... just to put them in a space, rather than a studio. i like to be somewhere when i hear a song, and although this song is extremely pristine and clear, it lacks that space. IMHO. sorry so vague.

Good song. Real good. Good acoustic guit sound. Nice singing voice and good harmonies. Harmonies supported the song very well. Nice little piano part - both in the middle break and while it plays that little line in the verses and chorus.

Still some mic positioning issues with the vocal. She's still very close to the mic. I didn't notice this on the harmony vocal as much as the lead. Could be due to different positioning or the part itself I suppose.

Bass is a little on the weak side - at least I think, can't be sure because I'm listening on small headphones. Could use a little more defined attack.

Cymbals may be a little too far forward relative to everything else.

I liked the song quite a bit. Good job.

Hey Skids,
Cool tune man!! I really like the singer's voice. I might agree w/ trip re: the bass. Im listening on puter speakers, so take that for what its worth, the low end just sounds a touch non-existant. The vocs sound plenty up front from here, and the cymbals might be a touch hot.
Really cool song man, nice work.
g

Another great tune skids.
I'll add another vote for more bass.
I think you and I have different panning philophy :D cause this one feels way too left heavy on the acoustic. But we'll call that a preference thing and I'll shut my trap.
I love the vocal style. I like the piano too. Nice use of the traps.
Cymbals get a little washy - like maybe they're lost in reverb. Drums sound good otherwise, well, maybe could use a little more kick.

Cool!

more bass...
more kick...
more v on the harmonies.......

more v or perhaps verb on the guit too....

or less lead vox and overall up on everytyhing else...

the wood block is cool but on the annoying side at spots.......maybe less there...or is it snare rim shots? hard to tell....

jesus man.....if you don't get a pair of monitors from Santa from Christmas.........Uncle joro will just have to hook you up with somethin'.....

you always have the pieces in the right place....you just can't hear them man.....you got good ears man....you need a better way to hear though....

My very best regards to you and the family man,
Joe

Another nice one, skids. I like her voice a lot.

I was craving a bit more bass to give the highs something to walk on.

Yea...great song, but some more bass will add to the drama of it I think. I'll try to look for the remix!

Good song!

Great song. I'm inspired to be a little more picky.
Mix sounds good on my headphones, maybe the bass could come a little more alive. The vocals sound like they have an accentuated mid range. Are you rolling the top off of the track? They could stand to breath a little, maybe just a touch of room reverb or some top end.

I really enjoyed listening to both of these. The arranging sounded just right to me.

Doug

Thanks for the great feedback once again. It's official, no more posting old songs with no b(ass)! :) Bass needs to come up! I made the mistake when I mixed these songs of checking it on a home stereo with a sub. That threw me way off!

Doug It's good to be picky...and inspired :) I don't thin I accentuated the mid range but I will check that out. Verb - I agree. Thanks a bunch.

SLuiCe Per you - more b(ass)! That will come on all our songs...when I get to it ;) I will look forward to your remix critique. Thanks!

joro Yes. Yes. Yes. I agree all the way around. The wood block also needs some verb to set it back some. Thanks. New montitors from Uncle Joro! I expect you to show up in a big red suit! :D Thanks man. Family is doing good. My boy is 4 weeks old today. Crazy!

fprod Actually I agree I need to fix the balance on the acoustics. I will check Icarus too. Bass up fo' sho'! Thanks.

G Thanks man. The singer is my wife! Bass up. I think I will hit the main vocs with some more verb to tame them. I will check on those cymbals.

Trip Would you stop yelling at me about the mic placement?! :D Yeah, probably the same thing again. Any ideas how to fix that without retracking?! Thanks for your compliments. Bass up and I will check those cymbals!

volt I agree the wood block needs some verb. I may also play with some delays on it too. See what it sounds like. Overall verb might work as well. I can always try a bus and see what it sounds like. Thanks!

sloop Thanks for checking it out. Vocals up huh? Maybe just a little more compression or ride the fader. She is very dynamic!

Thanks all!

Hey Skids, really cool song. I like it a lot. The singer reminds me quite a bit of Kristy MacColl.

I'm really new to all this stuff, so you should take my comments lightly, but it seems to me like there's an awful lot of high end going on, courtesy of the hi-hats, piano and vocals. Somehow, they seem to be banding together to create this inpenetrable wall of shimmery tones, and I think you might be better off if you could find a way to get the snare, kick and bass guitar to really cut through and provide the groundwork for the song. Maybe you could acheive that by panning the guitars and especially the piano off to the side a bit?

Anyway, like I said....I'm really new to this stuff, so I might not be making any sense at all. I guess all I'm saying is that things seem a little cluttered in the center of the mix, but not with the things I'm accustimed to hearing in the center -- bass, kick and snare.

Once again, cool song.

Very nice cymbal swells... very clean sounding recording... there's your
singer... very good... somehow her voice sounds a bit middy and claustro-phobic
for some reason, in this mix? Maybe the dryness of it... 'verb may help...
but there's almost a lack of body, as well as some "air" missing up top.

Really cool performance... some interesting drumming... but the vocs need
to mesh into this mix better, imhop. What could help is scooping some of the
guitars slightly ... between 500-1000Hz to give the vocal some room to sit...
on the order of 2db... fairly wide/shallow cut...

Not a bad offering at all... really good musics :)

Chad

another good song.. very interesting vocal work.. I'll agree with the comments about the lack of low end.. thought I heard a piano in there? the mix needs a little work but luckily you got better tips than I could give.. good song! It really needs some low end though.. ending was a little abrupt for this..

Back