From PC CDR Drive and out the Delta 1010, not possible right?

alonso

It is not possible to put a cd in the PC and have the sound come out the Delta 1010 right? Since the Delta is not a multimedia card, the cable that normally goes from the drive to the souncard cannot be connected, there is no port at least. So if I wanna listen to my cds through my PC, do I have to use the dreadful onboard sound? I use XP Pro and a Soyo Dragon Ultra 333. Is there another solution?

media player will probably figure it out, you may have to select digital playback or somthing similar in the options though. Winamp will likley need the approprite plugin.

and this plugin can be downloaded from??????? downloads.com, cnet.com or anywhere in particular?

I also have XP Home and the Delta 1010. Both WMP and Winamp figure it out on their own. Easy enough to find out, eh?

Pop a CD in there and open up a player.

It's not called "playing through the PCI bus", although technically that's sort of how it works.

What you're looking for is "Digital Audio Extraction", where audio data is read from the CD digitally, and played through your soundcard. Traditionally, the CDROM's cheapo converters would be used and its analog signal would be routed to your soundcard. Hence the benefit of using extraction is that you'll be able to hear CD's through the high quality converters of your Delta, instead of the cheapo converters found in most CDROM and CD players! You'll hear the difference!

Winamp and Windows Media Player both support digital playback.

Slackmaster 2000

I was also hoping to be able to listen to my music through my delta and just wondered about this the other day while building the PC. In fact, I haven´t even tested or even installed the drivers to know if it would work or not, I just asked in advance because I wasn´t sure though. But things are clear now.....thanks

This is interesting, I think I brought this up before. I can't play CDs through my Delta, everything comes out weird and has all kinds of anomolies. I assumed because it would not connect the audio directly to the card like was mentioned. When I play through the onboard, the CDs play just fine. Am I doing something wrong?

It's me again with no good news. In XP, I set the sound playback to Delta SPDIF. When I open Media Player and Monitor Mixer, the WavOut SPDIF Out has signal, I then go to the Router and select the SPDIF outputs, connect my Boston Acoustics Digital Speakers and get no sound. This is strange because when i use the audio of my mobo, I get sound with no trouble. Also if I rout the WaveOut SPDIF to any other input from the card, the Monitor Mixer doesn't show any activity on the new assigned input meter, just on the WaveOUT SPDIF and Master. XP says the drivers and the card are alright. Any other suggestions?

alonso - Did you choose Digital Playback from the Windows Media Player Tools/Options/CD Audio menu??

You have to tell the player to use digital playback rather than analog. Otherwise you would need a cable from the CD Player to the Sound Card (which won't work for the Delta cards, since they don't have the required connection).

Barometer, perhaps your problem is that your CD player might not be able to do digital extraction very well. Usually CD burners are better than CD-ROMs at digital extraction; however, they all vary in their ability to do this. Some do it well, and others don't. If you are getting sound, but you're getting pops and clicks and other noise as well, this might be the problem.

mine seems to work just fine.. i'm running a xp2000 on a k7s5a.. when i put a cd in my cd rom, mediaplayer starts playing the cd no problem.. no pops or anything...

Guys!!!!!Guys !!!!!! Guys!!!!!! Guys!!!!!!!! I cannot belive this!!!! I spent three hours today checking all the settings from Windows, the MEdia Player, the Delta Monitor Mixer and tried every configuration possible with no positive outcome. I finally quit and went over to my girlfriend`s with nothing accomplished. Now I just came, opened the MEdia Player to follow Dachay`s advice and found out that that was the first thing I did for the troubleshooting:( Then I went to the Monitor Mixer and for the zillionth time today selected SPDIF Out for the WavOut SPDIF and guess what.......all of a sudden it worked:D :D :) :p Don`t ask me why or how, it just did!!!!!!:D :) I just cannot put enough :) :D :p :) :D :p if you haven`t already noticed it !!!!!:D :) :cool: :p :D :) Thanks for your good intentions ya'all!!!
One last thing, if I route the Wavout SPDIF to any other input via patchbay/Router, shouldn`t the meter on that input show activity on the Monitor Mixer? I also routed the signal to the SPDIF Input and nothing happens...

Back