From old PC to refurbed mac?

Soccer

Hi all,

I've been saving a little extra cash to pickup a new laptop for recording. I move around a lot so desktop is not too practical. My current system was working well but the computer I'm using is old and just too slow to handle a lot of softsynths, midi etc... I'm running Sonar 7 PE, m-audio mobile pre usb as audio interface, m-audio midi usb keys all on an old 2004 Fujitsu laptop that I don't even wanna begin to describe the specs of.

Having got familiar with Sonar and PC I'm hesitant to jump to mac but I really just want less stress and the same quality tracks I've been getting thus far. I can't bite the bullet and buy one brand new as I have about 600-700$ max budget. A local store has some refurbished macs for sale and this one caught my attention... Apple MacBook White 13.3" 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB DVD 500GB Wifi - Guelph Computers For Sale - Kijiji Guelph Canada.

My brother really highlighted the 4gb ram as being of importance in purchasing a new laptop for recording and mixing. I'm wondering what experience anyone has with refurbished/used macs or whether they think a better bet would be a new PC in that price range? Any sync issues with m-audio products and macs?

Help appreciated!
Thx

I bought a MBP last month.
It was 2nd hand AND a refurb. The owner bought it for home and work, and his firm wouldn't support mac so he sold it to me with about 8 months warranty.

Refurb macs are pretty much new macs. They replace any defective parts and carry out the same testing and level of QC that they would on a brand new machine.
You are still entitled to the same warranty and upgrades as you would be with a new mac.
Looks like that company operate to the same spec.

The only negative thing I'd say is i3/i5/i7 have been out for a while, so you're buying into a generation behind, but 2.4ghz core2duo is still a very capable machine and fully 64 bit capable so it's not going to get left behind for a good while yet.

I can't vouch for maudio, but if you can research that, or get answers here, I'd say go for it.

MBP is a lovely machine and by far the most trouble free computer I've ever owned.

Thinking about it, I upgraded from a 2.2ghz core2duo dell, and TBH all that money was just spend to get OSX.
The dell was perfectly capable of handling anything I threw at it.

If you weren't in canada I'd be trying to sell it to you! :p

Last edited:
Back