From my current setup to...?

NoahP.

Hey,

So i currently record with a Yamaha Audiogram 6.
Thinking of going towards something more powerful. Even after reading Tweakhedz stuff on the subject of a USB Mixer or a Audio Interface with more inputs, I still can't make a decision.
8 channels should be about enough. The three main mixer brands I've heard of are Mackie, Behringer and Alesis; any info about which would be the best bang for the buck?
I'm sure I could sort myself out with a Audio Interface (reccomendations would still be welcome!), but I would most appreciate any help with whether I should go for a USB mixer or AI, and which make is generally a reliable choice in terms of a mixer.

Thanks very much!

Oh, on a side note, I remember reading about mixers where there are 8 inputs for example and thats fine and dandy, but there are only 2 outs? Any help explaining this would be much appreciated,

Noah

I would go with the AI man, you can do all the mixing in the DAW. If you choose mixer, I would stay away from Behringer. Many lower end mixers don't have outs for each channel and only have main outs (2 outs). Plus if you want a mixer to record each individual channel separately, that's gonna start costing some money. Many times I often find that mixers only record 2 tracks, so you don't have that much control over everything once your tracks are recorded. Look at Tascam us 1641. 16 ins i think. Comes with Cubase LE for free!!

1641 is discontinued. If you get lucky you can find a used one. 1800 is the new version of this and it comes with LE5 for 300 bones. Best bang for buck by far IMO.

Back