From Guitar Pro (Midi export) to… awesome sound?!

scdaymon

Hi there guys… how are you?

Here I am again, ‘cause I really need your help on this one: you see, I record (and mix – in REAPER!!!) my guitars, my bass, and my voice, but I program drums (EzDrummer), as so as all keyboards.
I used to use Guitar Pro sounds… but, with time, I started to realize that they’re really lame.
I still like the software to compose (GP 5.2), and then export to midi… but here comes the question: which software should I use to get to play those midi? I know it would depend on the soundbacks, but which one would be more realistic? Which one would be the easiest?
I read a lot about Reason 5, and Ableton Live 8. Do you think those would be suitable, or do you think another one is best?

Thanks a lot

:thumbs up:

Why would you not use Reaper, seeing you already have it, and pickup whatever instruments you like...?

Can I use midi with reaper?
Dear Lord, I'm glad I asked this in the newbies section... I really didn't know that!
So, I must buy soundbanks for Reaper???
Would they sound real? Can you advice me on some, please?

Thanks

Can I use midi with reaper?
yes

So, I must buy soundbanks for Reaper???
You can, but you don't necessarily need to. There are free soundbanks on the web, and free soundbank players. There are also heaps of free VST instruments that you can use with Reaper.

Would they sound real? Can you advice me on some, please?
How real they sound depends on their quality, and on well you can use them. The best thing you can do is do a search for the sound you want, download one and try it out.

VSTis can be used across platforms, so whatever you buy or get for free will (usually) work with whatever DAW you're using...

There are some interesting plug-ins out there for free...

But then again... can someone, please, advise me on one or another!

And, like I previously said, I have some friends that have a regular DAW for recording (usualy Reaper or Mixcraft) but then, another one to work the midi files (that they compose in Guitar Pro).
I'm also used to compose the keyboards in Guitar Pro, and I used to use the sounds from GP, but comparing to somethings I ear, it's not enough.
So I was just asking if you could also advise a cool DAW to work the midi files previously composed on Guitar Pro (or eventually, a cool DAW/sofwtare to compose those same files).

So I was just asking if you could also advise a cool DAW to work the midi files previously composed on Guitar Pro (or eventually, a cool DAW/sofwtare to compose those same files).

Just about any contemporary DAW can use midi files created in GP. Cubase, Logic, Protools and Reaper will all import midi files. Personally, I recommend Reaper.

Dude... it's the same question....

Here's how to use VSTis in Reaper.

Google "Free VSTi" and find one of the many sites offering them. Download some and unzip them. Put the files (.dlls usually) all together in a specific folder.... call it "My VSTi" or whatever. Go into Reaper, Options / Preferences / VST - put the path to your folder full of VSTis in the box, or browse it in.

Close Reaper and restart it.

Insert / Virtual Instrument on New Track, then select your instrument from the pop up box. Its user interface should appear...

Go back to your track and Insert MIDI item. Double click it and the MIDI editor will come up, usually in piano form.

Enter notes. Play. Done.

I'm doing this from memory but it's something like that.

If you want to import MIDI files then you still need the VSTis to give them sound... I think the Import MIDI option is probably under File menu - everything else is the same.

It's NOT THAT HARD... trust me. Just do it.

Ok, thank you guys...especially Armistice, for your quick tutorial :D !!!
I'll try to get this done, starting from my beloved REAPER, (again, following gecko zzed, a much knowledgeable man than me).

Ps: Well, "240v", about the drums: I paid for Ezdrummer, so, I'de better get this job done with it. But thanks anyway.

Still would appreciate another vsti names for piano, violin, cello, and the whole orchestra thing...

Ok, thank you guys...especially Armistice, for your quick tutorial :D !!!
I'll try to get this done, starting from my beloved REAPER, (again, following gecko zzed, a much knowledgeable man than me).

Ps: Well, "240v", about the drums: I paid for Ezdrummer, so, I'de better get this job done with it. But thanks anyway.

Still would appreciate another vsti names for piano, violin, cello, and the whole orchestra thing...

Piano One is the best free piano I've found... and it's OK if you're not listening too closely... I've not found anything emulation strings that's free that I'd actually use in a recording, but they can be useful as sounds.... a lot of the "string" stuff out there is just synth generated and pretty average.. hence free...

Oh, lol, I didn't see that part dude :P

I have Studio One, and it came with very decent sounds for many instruments. There's several places to look for, but in the freeware zone, it's a real hit and miss. I keep an eye on this blog, they post great offers on stuff. If you're willing to pay a bit, you could grab yourself Komplete Elements or even something like this.

Hey, since you have experience with a bunch of these programms, do you happen to have an "ableton live drum kit for guitar pro" ? I mean, a drum kit configured to receive exported drum tracks from guitar pro, cause i'm getting an headache trying to set a blank drum kit to match those imported files from guitar pro, thanks

Back