Fricken Chicken

Acousticles

Student Loans Fund Rawk
This is a song written by my little brother and his band. They recorded it in a fairly ghetto fashion, and as such the quality is a bit lacking. That being said, I think their brand of bluesy-garage rock sits well in Lo-Fi.

I did a quick mix of it last night for him because he's more interested in the writing of music and thus really has no interest in mixing further than laying all the tracks down and getting volumes decent.

I'm fairly new to all this mixing business so lemme know what you guys think (about the song and the mix).

(Be brutal if necessary, I want to learn from mistakes :) )

PS- The distortion on the vox is permanent

I agree that the lo-fi sound is a good match. If it were mine to change, I would try to fatten up the kick drum and pull back the snare a hair. The kick is lacking in tone and volume. And the dist on the voice gives it a LOT of presence, so it can come down in the mix and still have plenty of pop. The tone of the voice has a quality that makes it somewhat fatiguing to listen to especially at it's current level in the mix. Perhaps a nice scoop in the eq from about 700 hz to 1500 hz maybe a 2-3 db cut would make the voice less "in your face".

Overall, sounds like a good "raw" tune to me.

ac

Agreed with Accatoir, you need more kick (bottom, kick) to match with the bass gtr.Snare is a bit thin too.Bass guitar tone is pretty good, "follow it" with the drums...

Vocal is what is, if you can´t change...song is nice.

Ciro

Yea...I agree with the more kick drum...but the problem is that when they recorded, the whole trap set is recorded on one track...haha, so.....I can try to boost the eq of that track, but it may mess with the rest of the drums...I'll see what I can do :)

Also, I'm interested in trying that eq cut by a few decibels on the vocals...I was having a hard time getting them to sit well with all the presence because of the distortion (kinda wish I coulda played with that..but they recorded the effects on the track)

Thanks for the replies so far guys! I've got a TON of homework right now...but later tonight I'ma take these to heart and post a new mix.

Keep the suggestions and comments comin!

I really like this recording and performance :). Not fond of the hard panned vox 2/3rds through, but that may just be me. Overall, I agree with prior comments...beefier drums - more kick, less snare - although I see it is all one track, so your options may be limited - slightly lower vox (although I really like the vox!). A really unique listening experience for me lately, so thanks for that!:D

I really like this recording and performance :). Not fond of the hard panned vox 2/3rds through, but that may just be me. Overall, I agree with prior comments...beefier drums - more kick, less snare - although I see it is all one track, so your options may be limited - slightly lower vox (although I really like the vox!). A really unique listening experience for me lately, so thanks for that!:D

I slightly disagree on the alternating panning on the vocals. As it is, it sounds kind of awkward (like the singer is teleporting from one side of my head to the other). I think it could work if you used some kind of effects to separate the parts a bit. For example some reverb would create a sense of some distance from the singer (so instead of shouting in alternating ears, it sounds like he's walking back and forth across the stage). Or something to make it sound like slightly different vocalists.

I also agree that the drums need some more presence and the vocals could stand to be turned down a bit.

Otherwise, cool song. The low-fi sound does fit it quite well.

The drums aren't too bad - could use some eq'ing. Like reduce the snap a bit on the snare and up the kick. Cymbals sound good.
The guitars sound good the panning is effective and the tone is nice.
Bass is nicely defined and has some bottom to it, although with mostly a single guitar going on I might up the bass presence a bit.
The only thing thta "sounds" lo-fi is the vocals mainly due to the distortion. And as mentioned it actually suits the tune. It really reminds me of stuff from the 60's like Doors... The vocal panning I like...

Again, thanks a lot for all the feedback guys...Although I have been writing music for about 8 years (this term writing is used loosely :D ) and recording for 2....I've only just begun to get serious with the recording process. These comments from you veteran home studio'ers are worth their weight in gold :)

School has really hit me hard and will continue to until thursday morning...but I will surely have time to take your suggestions into account then. So stay tuned!

Back