Freudian Rock. A pop/rock song

You're becoming a good new contributor to the Clinic with your postings and your comments. Keep it up, it's what we need. The song is promising and has a catchy keyboard hook. I'm getting a New Order vibe. Really needs vocals IMO.

The mix seemed overly loud. Everything is forward and competing for attention. I wanted to feel that there was an orchestra director standing up at the podium swinging his baton, pointing at one group of instruments to indicate: "you louder," and another to indicate: "you softer." It's more like a group of kids in a garage band, each with his 50 watt Marshall half stack, where the volume just creeps up because everyone wants to be heard over everyone else. A rock arrangement doesn't mean that everything is up. I think you need to make some directorial decisions about which instruments are the focus and which are in a supporting role at any given point in the song. A couple of specific points:

That lead synth is out of control, volume-wise, and brings a harsh sound to your tune. Every time it cut loose, I found myself wanting to back away from the monitors or reach for the volume knob to turn it down. It's a very cutting and powerful sound, but in combination with the other stuff that is loud as well, listening to it is like standing close to a train whistle.

You've got some dissonance going on at a couple of points in the song. It happens right about 2:25 and once earlier in the song. It sounds like you have some sustaining notes that clash with a chord change. Don't know if that was intentional or not, but to my ears it doesn't sound good.

Good start. Keep at it.

when the drums started slowly creeping in, I wondered if they reached full volume at over a minute into the track..this is because the volume of everything else is drowning them out. i couldn't tell if the slow fade-in on drums was finished or not. the synth def sounds cool, but really needs volume control. I hear some INXS and Tears for Fears here, but i haven't listened to them in 25 years. 80's synth sounds are in now though, so yeah...

not bad overall, just needs volume control.

Again thank you for a good, through review. When I get a chance I will look into the things you pointed out. You guys should get a medal for doing so great reviews. Thanks again!

Dramatically better. I could tell from the beginning that it would be. Those rhythm synths and the bass synth shine through without that lead all over them. Takes me back to the 80s, fun times. Great job. Really does remind me of New Order.

Yeah, the second mix is definitely better. The pads are overwhelming everything else a lot less.

The drums are still getting buried overall tho. I would look into that as a good starting point. If your drums ever get lost, your mix loses all its power and drive.

Thanks for your comment Steve! I really should redo the mixing all over. I did the last mix efforts by eq:ing the tune using my phone and Lexis Audio editor as I do not have easy access to the projects files or my main computer ATM. I might BE able to go where my laptop is and then mix it again IF I find the files are there too.

I listened to the second mix.

I thought this sounded pretty good. Synths sound nice. Some cool vocal stuff at the beginning.

Drums are a little far back in the mix and the cymbals are swirly.

Bass is rumbly. I'd back off some of that low end.

I listened to the second mix.

I thought this sounded pretty good. Synths sound nice. Some cool vocal stuff at the beginning.

Drums are a little far back in the mix and the cymbals are swirly.

Bass is rumbly. I'd back off some of that low end.
Thanks TripleM for your tips and comment. I will try to fix things when I get the next chance.

Comments I could make on the mix have already been voiced by others so I won't comment on it. Just wanted to let you know I liked it. Great groove and nice synth work.

Back