Fretboard Lubrication?

Gregwor

So I own guitars with Rosewood, Maple, and Ebony fretboards and I would like some imput on which brands/types of lubricants I shouldbe using on each guitar. If someone could enlighten me I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks alot for your time and knowledge. Greg.

They don't need a lot of attention but for unfinished fretboards like rosewood or ebony a little boiled linseed oil rubbed in with 0000 steel wool and then wiped clean will do the trick. It'll shine the frets up nicely too.

Not a problem if the guitar gets played a lot....finger oils go a long way.....however, if you have some neglected guitars, as I do, the rosewood and ebony boards seem to like a little olive oil (yes, olive oil).....notice I said "a little", however.........gibs

Jaco Pastorious was into eating fried chicken before the gigs. I guess the vegetable oil took care of his fretboard and kept his fingers from drying out.

Forehead oil seems to work to a degree.

Most of us eat enough fast food to keep our foreheads nice and oily, might as well reap all the benifits.

Next time you go to McDonalds, ask which item on the menu will give you the oiliest forehead, and go with that, you won't be sorry!!

GT

cool, you've done that!! I admire you admitting it, I`ve never heard it said before publicly.
Thats one of the handiest things to do to keep new strings from blistering your fingers

I personally prefer either lemon oil or bore oil (used on guns)..USE SPARINGLY..too muc oil can be just as bad as none at all... Check out www.stewmac.com they sell the stuff as well as a million other things

Back