fret noise, how to reduce

daddymac

this is a small question, I'm only a rank amateur.

How do the pros keep the fret noise down when changing from one chord to the next?

thanks

When you say "changing from chord to chord," it makes me suspect you are talking about string noise (sqeeek!).

In either case, the answer is about the same: practice. A better player is releasing and fretting sharply, quickly, and accurately, and playing with a degree of confidence or authority, such that the intended sounds (chords, notes, music) are much louder than unintentional sounds (squeaks, clicks).

The moisture content in your hands, age of the strings, and mic placement, if your recording, can have an effect on string noise. For me, new strings, dry hands, and micing close to the fretboard are all noisier.

Even so, there are times when the atmospheric conditions (or the phase of the moon) bring out the Squeaks. Try rubbing your fingertips on your nose to pick up the oil (of course, if you're not the guitar player, substitute "tell the guitar player to rub his/her fingers on his/her nose"); talcum powder or corn starch, which are slightly messy but don't leave glop on the strings; or record in a (quietly) air-conditioned space.

Some software (Adobe Audition 1.5 and later) allow you to zero in on the squeaks after the fact and eliminate them, but that's a last resort.

Outlaws said:
?

Did they change something? I admit it has been a few years since I played them.

I just played a guitar today that had them (I did'nt notice until I strummed a chord). Damn it! I put it right back. It's like looking under a skirt and finding a set of balls. Ewww! :eek:

They've always sounded like new strings to me, sort of. Jangly with kind of a piezo pickup sound.

TravisinFlorida said:
I just played a guitar today that had them (I did'nt notice until I strummed a chord). Damn it! I put it right back. It's like looking under a skirt and finding a set of balls. Ewww! :eek:

They've always sounded like new strings to me, sort of. Jangly with kind of a piezo pickup sound.
Mine always sounded dull, I like the sound of week old slinkies, and IMO the elixirs brand new are more dull sounding than that.

I love the way new strings sound... old or used strings work pretty well for jazz players... not for rockers I guess...

ez_willis said:
If it is the squeaks you're talking about, try Elixirs, especially if it's on an acoustic guitar.

Well, yeah, but they sound like shit in the first place, so why bother.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Lot of whining about Elixirs but nothing coming in the way of recommendations.

And it seems stunning to me that people don't like the sound of new strings.

I'll offer my services. Anytime you guys want, send me your new strings so I can break them in for you.

TravisinFlorida said:

Never had that happen to me, maybe you should be careful about what skirt you put your hand under.

Try soaking your hands in warm water for 30 seconds before a take - it softens the calloused skin a little and makes it less likely to catch on the string..

It works, trust me, I used to have all sorts of issues recording acoustic fingerstyle guitar, and this helped a lot. Along with lots of practice...

Cheers

Back