Fret Buzz

kuhniget

I recently bought an MIM Tele('07 model) from a local guitar shop. I don't know if I just didn't notice it in the first week of playing but an annoying fret buzz has become apparent. Of course I only hear it when I'm unplugged, playing through an amp I forget all about it. I wouldn't bother to post this except I made sure to have it set up before bringing it home. This is a problem I fixed before by raising the saddles on a Danectro junker that was given to me. Unlike that one though, the buzz isn't actually killing the note, it's just an annoying rattle noticeable all along the 5th and 6th strings. I really don't know if this to be expected because I haven't played a large variety of guitars, at least not ones that I know have been properly set up. This may just be coming from paranoia because when I went back at the end of the day to pick it up, the guy who did the set up wasn't working. When I told the two that were working I had come to pick it up, one asked the other if they knew if it got set up or not. I would go back to make sure but the place is now more of a warehouse than a shop.

So I guess out of all that I'm asking do the saddles need a tweaking or am I just nit picking?

Without hearing it, can only go by what you're saying. Raise up the bridge saddle a little, see if it goes away, yet leaves the action comfortable.
When I bought my 72 Fender Tele new (with maple neck) it buzzed for a few months until I got it well broken-in.

Yeah that's probably what I'll do because I can tell its just barely rattling against the higher fret and if I pick softer it doesn't because the string obviously isn't vibrating as hard. it just plays wonderfully and I didn't want to screw that up because of a little gripe. But another thing I've noticed is that whenever I pick the G string, behind the note I can hear what sounds like a 7th fret harmonic. As far as I can tell this only happens when the string is open, and it really doesn't affect anything, but any idea what causes it?

It is quite normal for electric guitars to buzz when you play them unpluged - they are not designed to be played acoustically, and who cares if they do - as long as it does not come through the amp, it is not a problem.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

OK, lets say this again. It's an electric guitar which does not buzz when amplified - THERE IS NOTHING WRONG! Sure you can make it not buzz acoustically, but why? It's not how the guitar is meant to be used, and by getting rid of the buzz you will almost certainly be making it more difficult to play when it is.

Seriously, don't fix it if it ain't broken, and since it is an electric guitar, the thing you need to worry about is how it sounds plugged in, not unplugged.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Listen to Light...if the thing has been set up, plays nicely and sounds good through your amp...it's fine.

I have several "speedy neck" guitars (Ernie Ball JPMM and a couple Ibanez) which buzz a bit...only noticable when the amp is turned down low...solution...turn it up!

Any chance your technique is making things worse? Digging deep into the strings maybe? A little buzz is fine.

Light = smarter than all, but as an option....

First question needs to be:
Is your neck straight? I learned to check this by fretting the low e at about fret 15-17 and fret 3 at the same time, then stretching my fingers to tap the string down on about fret 7 or 9 or so. If there is any significant play here, it usually means the neck is bowed and the tension rod needs to be tightened. If you don;t have epxerience here, it is probably best to take it in for a setup and let a pro adjust it.

Now here is the thing, IF the guitar has good action, and buzzes just a little, whatever, don't sweat it. However, if you find the neck is a bit bowed, and you get it set up, you should be able to see the action significantly improved after a good setup and it should play a bit easier as well.

Daav

Light = smarter than all, but as an option....

First question needs to be:
Is your neck straight? I learned to check this by fretting the low e at about fret 15-17 and fret 3 at the same time, then stretching my fingers to tap the string down on about fret 7 or 9 or so. If there is any significant play here, it usually means the neck is bowed and the tension rod needs to be tightened. If you don;t have epxerience here, it is probably best to take it in for a setup and let a pro adjust it.

Now here is the thing, IF the guitar has good action, and buzzes just a little, whatever, don't sweat it. However, if you find the neck is a bit bowed, and you get it set up, you should be able to see the action significantly improved after a good setup and it should play a bit easier as well.

Daav

You have just described the method used to check neck relief or the "bow" that needs to be there. How much depends on you action, string gauge, intonation. Remove it and you are likely to have strings choking with a low action.

One other thing to remember. Most people end up playing a little bit harder when they are unplugged, so they get more buzzing.

And I'm NOT smarter than everybody, I just spend more time dealing with this stuff.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

One other thing to remember. Most people end up playing a little bit harder when they are unplugged, so they get more buzzing.

And I'm NOT smarter than everybody, I just spend more time dealing with this stuff.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Yeh, but we is smarter too! right?..:rolleyes::cool::D

OK, lets say this again. It's an electric guitar which does not buzz when amplified - THERE IS NOTHING WRONG! Sure you can make it not buzz acoustically, but why? It's not how the guitar is meant to be used, and by getting rid of the buzz you will almost certainly be making it more difficult to play when it is.

Seriously, don't fix it if it ain't broken, and since it is an electric guitar, the thing you need to worry about is how it sounds plugged in, not unplugged.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

Seriously gang, if my electric guitar necks don't buzz when they're unplugged, I drop the strings till they do!

(Okay, I rarely have to do that, but mine are all set up fast & flat--the unplugged buzz is part of the compromise for action and speed--and it disappears when I plug in.)

yeah i figured I was just nit pickin. It's just the first guitar I've actually had setup(lil ole me's only been playing a year) so I didn't know if the buzz was normal. Thanks for the reassurance though haha. I may just be amazed at the huge quality leap from that Danoblaster, but it just plays so beautifully, I think I was fortunate enough find one of the Mexican gems..

i have a squier cyclone with nasty frett buzz on the 12th frett of the d string and a little bit less on a and g of the 12th frett that does fuck up when amplified.... what should one do in this situation then? Frett leveling? refrett? what does that kind of stuff cost?

If you neck is bent, don't mess with the truss bar. You can snap your neck in half so take that to someone who knows what thier doing. But yeah, the buzz is normal. I don't mind it at all.

I fail to see how if its buzzing unplugged it wouldn't be audible through the amp.

I fail to see how if its buzzing unplugged it wouldn't be audible through the amp.

a well tuned guitar whether it be Bass or 6 string can buzz a tad (Not all do but some can) with a low action which will be noticeable when unplugged but the buzz will not be heard amplified.
I am sure there is a scientific explanation why this phenomenon occurs but I am not a scientist.:D
I prefer a nice low action with a little fret buzz unplugged opposed to a guitar that don't buzz unplugged and a high action.

even with a good fret leveling and crowning or even a pleck job will not guarantee eleminating fret buzz of an un plugged electric instrument.

if your guitar has a high action and is still buzzing then it is time to have that puppy worked on.

Back