fret buzz!! help!!

xfatalherox

Hey everyone. I have an Epiphone G-310 SG that I just got a couple of months ago brand new. When I first got it, I noticed some slight fret buzz around the 3rd and 4th frets. The guitar came set up in standard tuning, e-b-g-d-a-e, with .46-.10 gauge strings. Now, I use the guitar in Drop C tuning, and I have not yet changed the strings since i got it, nor have i messed with the action or the bridges intonation.
Ever since i started tuning down to drop C, the fret buzz increased, much more than from when it was at standard tuning, but the buzz stayed at the same frets, around the 3rd and 4th frets. Every time i play a note on those frets, regardless what of string I press to the fret, i get terrible buzz that doesnt even sound like a note. (although the buzz is more intense on the 1st and 4th strings). Also, i just recently used a straight edge to see if the frets were leveled and i noticed that the 3rd and 4th frets were a bit lower than rest, as the rest were perfectly even.
Is this something that can be solved by just using heavier gauge strings or adjusting the action?? cause since i use Drop C tuning, i was thinking maybe that the strings i have now are too light and they are looser than before, which causes the buzz. or do i actually have to get my frets leveled?? someone please help.

You need to adjust the truss rod. The truss rod was tensioned for standard tuning so when you loosen the strings the neck bows. If you loosen the truss rod the neck will straighten out. If you don't know how to do this, have someone set it up for the way you play it.

Throw away your allen wrench and take it in!

Two things: First of all, monkeying with a truss rod is kind of touchy. You want a certain amount of "bow" in the neck, but not too much, and it's a fragile balance that most guitar techs measure with a set of feeler guages, sweating over hudredths-of-an-inch differences in neck relief. Plus, other factors that affect string "action" are the nut slots (notoriously poorly cut on less expensive guitars), fret crown heights, and saddle height. The whole picture is sort of fluid, with no single variable being the sole key to proper set-up. Take the guitar in to someone who has experience with this sort of thing, and pay them what they ask. It will probably run you a hundred bucks--and yes, your new guitar SHOULD have come from the store already set up, but you know how that goes. I've yet to buy a guitar off the shelf that didn't require the tender mercies of my local luthier to make it perfect--and that's true for $1800 Gibsons as well as $399 Epis. Consider it an investment in the peace of mind that comes from not having to worry that YOU screwed something up!

Secondly, yes you might want to get heavier strings for the detuned stuff. If all you drop is your low E to C, look for some "light top-heavy bottom" guages. I think Ernie Ball or Dean Markley makes such a thing. But if you're dropping the whole thing down a step or two into baritone range, you definitely need to look into a set of 12's.

Bianchi Joe said:
Tand it's a fragile balance that most guitar techs measure with a set of feeler guages, sweating over hudredths-of-an-inch differences in neck relief.

Nah, we don't use feeler gauges. We just have eyes that can SEE thousandths of an inch differences in neck bow. It is an experience thing. And you still want to take it to a professional, because you can break the truss rod if you mess up.

The thing is, if you have low frets, adjusting the truss rod will not help. Heavier strings will improve things, but if there really are low or, more likely, high frets, then NOTHING will get rid of the buzz, except for a fret dress. However, this is NOT an issue which falls under the "normal wear and tear" heading, which most fret work falls under. Gibson SHOULD cover it, though good luck in actually getting them to. Low or high frets like that, on a brand new guitar, are a defect in workmanship. If you make enough noise (with Gibson, not with the warranty center) you may be able to get this covered, just for gods sake don't tell them I told you to do so. Take your guitar to a warranty center, and have them look at it. See what Gibson says. This one will not be automatic, as Gibson will only cover about a half-hours worth of work on Epi's automatically (and they pay for shit, no less). Your guitar probably needs more like two hours work, though probably not more than that. Take it in, and see what happens.

You are almost certainly going to need heavier strings though, if you want to tune that low. The guitar just is not designed to go that low.

sell it and get a real gibson sg a mans one and pretend your angus young learn how to chicken step love bon scott hate brian jonsons gut and belive still after all these years that boogie rocks not dead peace

Back