Frequency

rockabilly

Im about a year into recording. There is one thing that I have never been able to figure out because all tutorials or readings ive seen are for other programs.

I always read about how if you have 2 guitars, you have to have different frequencies and such. I get completely lost when it comes to equalization...and Im guessing that is the only reason my recordings lack that clarity.

I guess what im asking is, how do you put instruments at certain frequencies in AA? When I look at the EQ interface I get confused. In my mind, I expect a knob to be there with a zero to another number, and I just turn it to the frequency.

Am I missing something?

rockabilly said:
Im about a year into recording. There is one thing that I have never been able to figure out because all tutorials or readings ive seen are for other programs.

I always read about how if you have 2 guitars, you have to have different frequencies and such. I get completely lost when it comes to equalization...and Im guessing that is the only reason my recordings lack that clarity.

I guess what im asking is, how do you put instruments at certain frequencies in AA? When I look at the EQ interface I get confused. In my mind, I expect a knob to be there with a zero to another number, and I just turn it to the frequency.

Am I missing something?

Your mix may be lacking clarity because you have instruments fighting each other for space. This can usually be fixed with volume levels, or panning, but you will still probably need to apply some EQ.

For example, a bass guitar uses mostly low frequencies, and a rhythm guitar usually mids/some highs.

You can carve out the highs on the bass, and the lows on the rhythm guitar, and that will give each of those instruments room.

Read this, he explains it a lot better than I can. :o
http://www.homerecordingconnection.com/news.php?action=view_story&id=154

When two sounds have overlapping frequencies (like two guitars), the net result is that one or both sounds will sort of 'disappear' in the mix, or be less noticeable. To ensure that each of the guitars has presence, it's necessary to make them sound different somehow. One way to do that is by using EQ: you boost a particular frequency for one guitar, and cut the exact same frequency for the other guitar. You have to experiment a bit to find the best frequency to cut/boost. Try an octave wide boost/cut (a Q of 1.3) with a parametric EQ; try a boost of 2-3 dB and a similar cut.

You can use this same approach for instruments that overlap partially: guitar and bass, for instance. You're gonna need it for sure if you do mixes that have bass and kick drum.

Back