frequency response confusion

not4ne1

I'm unhappy with my vocal recordings and blaming it on my mic (a poor craftsman blames his work on his tools). I'm trying to understand microphones better. Will you guys clear me up on a couple of things. In selecting a mic, is it ALL about the frequency response chart? I mean, If you know you want a warmer low end sound (male vocal, bass instrument, etc) then select one with a lump in the lower end. Or if you want a brighter siundt, select one that shows a higher end emphasis? Or if you want to capture a raspyness then pick a mic who's frequency response chart shows a lump around 2-5k? (I hope that question is clear)
Next, couldn't you get a similar outcome with any mic and then EQ to match a specific frequency response?
Thanks guys

P.S. I realize there is more than just the mic included in the equation (position, preamp, technique, etc) so lets assume all else being equal.

Best is to actually hear the damn mic. Frequency charts can give you a vague idea what it might sound like IF you have a good grasp of how that kind of visual thing translates to what you hear. They are often not quite as detailed as they could be, though. Not saying that they are fixed to look better than they are, but... Also, most directional mics have a much different response off axis. Then there's proximity effect. And it all comes back around to the fact that there's no substitute for actually hearing it.

You could try to EQ one mic to sound like another, but it won't be quite the same thing. If the EQ response of the mic is actually a resonance which rings for some finite amount of time you won't be able to get that out of most EQ's. Also, if a mic is severely lacking in some frequency, and you turn that up via a filter somewhere later, you will also be turning up any noise in that frequency range which has gotten into the signal along the way. Not always cool.

Anteres has a plugin called "Mic Modeler" where you tell it what mic you actually used, and what mic you wish you had used, and it "undoes" the old mic and applies an impulse of the new one. I don't know how close it gets, but who's to say anyway? Just don't ever tell anybody around here that you used that plug, or they'll laugh at you! ;)

Back