Frequency response comparison

nkay

I asked on here a number of weeks ago about an old discontinued microphone I had lying around, an AKG D70ME. Someone had told me it would be similar to a Shure SM57. Here are the stated freq. response for each:

Shure SM57: 40-15,000
AKG DM70 : 150-16,000

According to the AKG site, and from what I could translate in German, it said the mic was good for vocals (built in pop-filter?) , percussion, toms, and wind instruments.

My application is acoustic guitar and some spoken-type vocals. Would it be any good?

:cool: the DM-70 is optimzed for mid bass-upper highs. If the guitar does not have to much bass to it, it should be fine, do a test recording to see how you like it, try it in digital as well as analogue recording devices.
If your voice is/is not deep/chesty sounding,you may not like it for that. the mic would be good for applications where you're not looking for lower bass response..........

da MUTT

Yes, but the product information for this discontinued mic is in German!

Danke!

Anyway, just got my MobilePre delivered today so I will try it out.

I found this info from a guy who sold one on eBay....It went for 32 euro ..... about $45.

Here are some specs and also his assessment of it..... the bottom end rolls off pretty high up !!!
Of course he may be crazy or homeless.... but at least he had an AKG mic.

Mic Type: Dynamic

Polar Pattern(s): Cardioid

Freq Response 150 - 16,000

Sensitivity 1.3 mV/Pa

Standard 3pin XLR type connector.

Quote:
"The D70 ME's are particularly good for loud rock band vocal work, particularly miking drums and cabs, as they are built like a tank, but - more importantly they cut through the noise with a very low feedback ratio, this means that you can turn them up LOUDER. Are perfect for Live Gigs or Studio Vocals, Miking Drums, Miking Guitar Amps,"

Well, nothing like a ten year old thread as an excuse for a lesson in reading frequency response specs.

Basically, if it says something like "40-15,000 Hz" it's useless. It needs extra information like "40-15,000 Hz +1dB/-3dB" or whatever.

The SM57 does indeed SAY 40-15,000 but, if you look at the actual graph they provide, it's down by something like 11dB at 40Hz and this roll off starts at about 200 Hz.

I don't know the DM70 but usually AKG quote their lower frequency at the -6dB point, making the responses pretty similar.

So...the only way to really evaluate a mic is to try it and listen.

Anyhow, happy birthday old thread! I hope you have a great day!

Back