Frequency Response and Kick Drum...

eternalpayn

Correct me if I'm wrong, but kick drums hit at about 40Hz, no?
I just got a hold of several mics, including an AKG D310, and 2 DS35s. They all have ranges of 60Hz+, but the DS35 says that it's bass is boosted within 12 inches. Does anyone know if this would work as a kick drum mic? Would it sound bad and/or damage it?

Thanks in advance!

Bass response is generally better with proximity with most mics. But you need good low end and high SPL with said proximity. Not to mention some sort of shock mount, and windscreen. Depending on how CLOSE you're getting. I don't know about those mics, but if one is a ribbon mic, I wouldn't risk it with that one.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but kick drums hit at about 40Hz, no?
I just got a hold of several mics, including an AKG D310, and 2 DS35s. They all have ranges of 60Hz+, but the DS35 says that it's bass is boosted within 12 inches. Does anyone know if this would work as a kick drum mic? Would it sound bad and/or damage it?

Thanks in advance!

40Hz is on the low-ish end on most kick drums, but it depends on the specific drum, shell composition, heads, tuning and player.

Proximity effect wouldn't apply in this case as it wouldn't boost anything like 60Hz...more like 90-120Hz. Don't use the ribbon mic...even though they're certainly tougher than they used to be, they're not likely to survive very long inside a kick drum.

Frank

Thanks for the replies!
Are these ribbons, though? All the info I can find says they aren't. Would it be safe to stick one of these guys up by a kick?

Proximity effect wouldn't apply in this case as it wouldn't boost anything like 60Hz...more like 90-120Hz. Don't use the ribbon mic...even though they're certainly tougher than they used to be, they're not likely to survive very long inside a kick drum.

Actually, ribbons are sometimes used for kick mics. You just have to place them in such a way that there's not a wind gust against the ribbon. For example, placing it near the hole in the head is right out.... :)

http://emusician.com/tutorials/emusic_ribbon_mic_summit/index4.html

Before I changed the heads on my bass recently, the fundamental was about 41. Since I tuned the drum higher because I used thicker, more muffled heads on both sides, its fundamental is like 55 or so.

I high-pass at 55 always anyway.

Sure, you could use it well outside the resonant head.

...or on a pillow inside the drum, turned sideways so that the wind gust is blocked by the pole pieces---pretty neat trick---or just outside the batter head with the phase reversed or outside the resonant head but nowhere near the hole. SPLs don't damage ribbons; wind gusts do.

Ribbons inside kicks is not that uncommon, actually. It just requires doing it just the right way to avoid totally wrecking the things. :)

...or on a pillow inside the drum, turned sideways so that the wind gust is blocked by the pole pieces---pretty neat trick---or just outside the batter head with the phase reversed or outside the resonant head but nowhere near the hole. SPLs don't damage ribbons; wind gusts do.

Ribbons inside kicks is not that uncommon, actually. It just requires doing it just the right way to avoid totally wrecking the things. :)

That's cool...I've never used one inside a kick, but that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done. I use ribbons as room mics or OH's typically on a drum kit...I don't like the sound of a kit close-miked with ribbons, even an R121. To each his own.

Frank

Before I changed the heads on my bass recently, the fundamental was about 41. Since I tuned the drum higher because I used thicker, more muffled heads on both sides, its fundamental is like 55 or so.

I high-pass at 55 always anyway.
You mean low pass.

Back