French HipHop Track - Need feedback on mix

Godfather65

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I would like to get some feedback on this mix.

Attachments

• T-Verb Ft. Sale - Est ce que t'es pret (Prod. Qm).mp3
    5.4 MB · Views: 7
My Opinion

What I think#1 Adjust the bass down some it is killing the vocals in the mix.
What I think#2 The vocals can use some eq it sounds muddy.
What I think#3 This actually could be a good song with the right mix.

I love the vocals, although because I don't speak French I'm not completely sure about how clear they are. I wouldn't be afraid about making a feature of them.

In a recent post I complained that rap (and hip-hop) doesn't get much commentary on this forum from people in the same field, which would be far more useful to you than what I have to say.

The bass is very smothering to me, but I think the clanging keyboard sound is doing more damage in regard to getting the vocal front and centre.

What little I know of hip-hop the bass is usually quite fat and low (as you have it) but has a bit more movement (runs around on the scale a bit more than just thumping out thick bottom notes). I would work on getting more movement and a more interesting riff on the bass, then getting the vocal to sit on that, then holding back on the clanging sounds and being more selective about using those types of sounds for punctuation.

Hey Tobe, thanks a lot for replying!

I agree that bass should have more movement like you said, but on this beat my goal was just to fill the low-end, because the sample I chopped didn't have enough of it (Sample used in this beat is from "Pacific Gas & Electric - Are you ready"), and I guess I added too much of it.

Also for vocals, I'm aware that they are not perfect since we recorded it with low budget mic (Sennheiser e825s) in T-Verb's basement without any acoustic treatment, but I guess when you say you love it they sound okay, and I'm happy to hear that from someone experienced.

Back