freeware Yamaha CP-70/CP-80?

sorry not a freebie, and you do have to have kontakt...but Hollow Suns CP70 is excellent...and at £25 its not going to break you??

There's also ElectriKeys-- free to try, cheap to buy. I haven't tried it yet myself, but the samples I listened to sounded pretty good.

Edit: If you want something free, I downloaded those GigaFont samples you mentioned and was able to play them with no trouble in SynthFont without having to convert them. SynthFont2 requires a license, but SynthFont1 is free donationware/nagware. It's a DAW, not a VST plug-in, but I guess you could use a MIDI keyboard to play a tune using CP80.gig as the sound font, save the output to a file, then load the file into your favorite DAW to add it to your project-- if you really want to go to that much trouble to avoid spending $35 for ElectriKeys. ;)

Last edited:
There's also ElectriKeys-- free to try, cheap to buy. I haven't tried it yet myself, but the samples I listened to sounded pretty good.

Edit: If you want something free, I downloaded those GigaFont samples you mentioned and was able to play them with no trouble in SynthFont without having to convert them. SynthFont2 requires a license, but SynthFont1 is free donationware/nagware. It's a DAW, not a VST plug-in, but I guess you could use a MIDI keyboard to play a tune using CP80.gig as the sound font, save the output to a file, then load the file into your favorite DAW to add it to your project-- if you really want to go to that much trouble to avoid spending $35 for ElectriKeys. ;)

SynthFont has a VST plugin download.

Paj
8^)

It's hard to find a VSTi to make that vintage sound justice. I know a lot of keyboardist record that sound directly from the real Yamaha CP80.
Anyway, Kontakt seems to be a good choice in this case ;)

I got Kontakt Player 5 to load the Greg Sullivan Giga sample pack.
Kontakt Player took the Giga files and created an .nki data file. That played OK, but as usual with non-licensed content, Kontakt timed it out after 15 minutes.

However, I found a workaround.
A guy on the Harmony Central forum made an sf2 soundfont out of the Greg Sullivan samples. Took the samples that Kontakt converted into .wav files, and loaded them with the sf2 soundfont into the Plogue Aria sfz player, and hey presto!

It's a very clean sound. PM me...

Last edited:
Maybe you have already tried something like this, but I have Arturia Piano V downloaded on demo. And by using Pop Grand,and Slow Keyboard at piano settings,and A B mic, room setting Sweet Plate, and adjusting the parameters on "master" to get a U shape, and using fairly high gain, I get a good Yamaha CP80 sound, especially with quite a lot of sustain. And through good headphones helps.

Last edited:
Back