Freeverb

norm55

Anyone running the freeverb softwear with cakewalk I down loaded it but i cant get it to work And I totally lost all patience the reverb from fx 1&3

Are you sure you have a Direct-X version?

Hi Norm, I use FreeVerb in WaveLab, but mine is a VST plugin. Unless they now have a Direct-X version out, it won't work in Cakewalk. You need to see if the one you downloaded was Direct-X or not. Otherwise, it is a really neat tool. Good Luck!

i downloaded the direct x ver. it loaded it in to cake walk but im getting a error message anyone out there getting it to work in cake walk

it comes up as a direct show error
Where it says This filter does not support the current
Audio format.It may require a different number of channels or a diffrent sample rate.... But i dont have a clue what it means I heard nothing but good things about this program so i really like to figure this out

Norm,
Looks like your getting good advice, but I guess I'll put in my 25 cents worth.
The problem is not w/ Freeverb, specifically.
I had the same problem with it and several other plug-ins, same error message, etc. I think Direct-X is not looking in the right place, or has a glitch. (my problems started when I moved some files)
I reloaded freeverb and it works just fine on my Walmart Pavillion running 9.03, although any files I saved with the screwed up effects are locked up.
You don't want to go down that road.............

SO A WORD TO THE WISE.....
if you are having these kind of plug-in problems,
SAVE a copy of your project WITHOUT any REAL TIME effects, delete them by console or track view, or apply
them destructivly. Just in case. I sure wish I had.
Good luck, scooter

Scuse my ignorance but why would you want to use the Directx freeverb and not use Cakewalks fx?

Paul: Even thought effects may be the same type (e.g., reverbs, chorus, delay, distortion etc) they offer different controls, process the sound differently and just plain sound differently. As you listen to different plus ins, you may find you really like reverb from company a and chorus from company b. If you really listen, some people like the hall reverb from company a and the room reverb from company b.... I think they all sound good, they are just different and a matter of taste. Besides, it is good and it is free!!!!!

Norm: I agree, moving plugins can be deadly. consider uninstalling them and then reinstalling. Don't move or rename the folder. Good luck!!

Thanks Banm & RJT.

I have downloaded freeverb but it wont extract. I get an error message "GetLastError returns 0x00000485" from Reg Svr32.

Direct x is on my C:\ drive and the download was to C:\ so any suggestions as to what the problem is?

I am using Direct x vers 8.0.
Pentium II 400MHz, Win98, 128meg RAM, AWE 64 Gold

Here's what I can offer

Hey all...
After reading this string and becoming aware of Freeverb, I downloaded it and am running it in CW 9.03 w/ no problems.
But I'm wondering....am I missing something? I don't think it sounds all that good, and it doesn't have a huge amount of controllability either. I agree w/ most that the CW reverb isn't all that and a side order of fries, but I didn't percieve FV to be a huge improvement.
It was definitely free, though!
Aaron
http://www.aaroncheney.com

Well, as I said, it is a matter of taste. Also, you may find you like some verbs (or other effects) better on some pieces of music. At times, I have used Freeverb and at others, I have used Cake or DSP or Hyperprism etc. I read little poll where x number of people gave their opion after listening to the same piece of music with different reverbs and a lot liked the "less expensive" reverb to the big name.... it is all in the ears and nobody is wrong on this one.

Paul, I hate to say this, but Direct X 8 may be the problem. I downloaded it but refused to install it after hearing all the horror stories. Perhaps someone else could comment on it who has more experience.

hey everybody thanks for the advise.Iim going to try to upgrade direct x and see if that makes a diffrence .I havent heard the reverb my self .I just heard it was a good program.I think the reverb sucks in cakewalk so can anyone recomond something better

I think Direct X 8 is the last version. I've heard is it very buggy and creates a lot of problems. unfortunately you can't downgrade back without reinstalling everything. At least that is what I have heard.

Reverbs

The best sounding reverb I have heard (just my opinion) is one called Quickverb. It used to come with one of those free multitracking programs. I think you can still find it on the web. It sounds better and seems to use less CPU than the stock CW reverb. Do a search on Quickverb, and you should be able to find it. If not, leave a post here, and I'll see if I still can.

Regards, DJC

I upgraded to Direct x 8 as soon as it came out and updated again as the upgrade came out and haven't seen any problems (apart from not getting freeverb to work which may not be a dx problem).

I have to say though that the reverb/echo options in my Zoom GFX 707 are superb so it ain't such an issue for me any more. The reverb for vocals in CW are quite adequate for vocals IMHO. And Mr Cheney's post was interesting, doesn't that prove how beauty is in the eye of the beholder?

Back