Free space for MP3s?

windowman

Just thought I'd mention that in my ever ongoing quest to find free web hosts that will actually allow you and your friends to upload and download MP3 files (kind of an essential thing to have if you've got a music site, eh?) I actually found a really good deal. The only catch is that it has a kinda funky way of downloading files. You can't just right click and "save as" or it'll only try to save the html page file. Instead you have to left click which will take you to a specific download page and then you have to left click yet again and a box will come up asking if you want to save the file to disc or play it (stream it.) Always choose to save to disc.

I've noticed that the new IE6.0 has a feature with a little juke box thingy that tries to play sound file from it but that don't work with files from this funky server. The great thing is that they give you a whopping 50 megs of space and even a CGI bin where you can upload CGI scripts to your hearts content. Anyhow, it might be worth a try. It is free after all. Seems to load files rather quick to.

http://free.prohosting.com/~sampieri/freefaq/

Oh, and for some stupid reason the banner ads seems to interfear with sound files if you try to embed them into a webpage so don't even try it.

Good luck. ~W~

I filled out their registration and wonder if I've just signed up for another 10% boost in my SPAM count. Only time will tell.

Oh well- all that just to find they have a 2MB filesize limitation. :mad:

Last edited:
2mg is huge I think. For mp3 files it ought to be big enough anyway. I've loaded half hour tunes recorded at 128k with no problems. I haven't had a spam problem yet. You might be right though, but that's the chance you take with any free server space. So far so good anyway.

Yeah you're all right, 2mb is small for music files. I don't know what I was thinking. I do know that I've loaded huge files over there though so if there's a limit they must not check your files.

I'll look at the one you mentioned Tim. Always on the outlook for better hosts.... :)

It does now.

This site just takes a few minutes to process each request.

And you can design it the way you want.

The Home Depot approach I think.

But they at least let you access your own files so's you can have a fighting chance of controlling your content as a function of time.
Anything else is downright childish, however well-intentioned.

They designed their site around an FTP storage site which is (HELLO!!!) what nowhere/mp3.com etc. is doing. Then they give you a good chunk of space and decent performance both ways and you have what everybody here has been looking for. Waldo's got some cool organization and some audience but access to my stuff so I can tweek it, trash it or redefine it, is essential.

Mine is definitely still quite unpacked.
Not a friggin' cat in sight. That can't last. Enjoy it while you can.
http://cloud.prohosting.com/~drstall

It looks like just their FTP program doesn't support the larger filesize. Try this 5MB 192Kbps file for example....
Also a 1600KB version that sounds OK and even better when heard with an RCA mp3pro decoder. Still free.

Last edited:
"It looks like just their FTP program doesn't support the larger filesize."

Yeah, that's probably it. I just use regular old WS_FTP95 LE.

They've got about 6 free servers including "cloud" but my two accounts are on "rain" and "storm", and I gotta tell ya that they all act a little different. For instance, I know that they say you can't use Perl on the free servers but there's at least a couple of em where you can anyway. Couldn't tell you which ones off hand but if in doubt on anything email that guy who wrote the unofficial faqs pages. He's been very upfront with me. I only wish you could right click and "save target as" because I think that's really gonna confuse some people.

Oh Well....tally-ho! Lets hope for the best.

Last edited:
Back