Free Solo

PorterhouseMusic

Mitakuye Oyasin
Not sure if this has ever been discussed here - but this documentary won the Academy Award for best documentary in 2018. It is the story of Alex Honnold's unbelievale free solo climb of Yosemite's El Capitan rock face. This is, in my view, one of the very top greatest human athletic achievements of all time. Absolutely remarkable.

In this clip Alex has already put a couple of the hairiest sections behind him (those clips are available if you search). If you're him - you clear the Enduro Corner and the rest is gravy.

I saw that at an Imax theater when it came out. Everyone that exited the theater at the end of it was sweaty as fuck. There is no greater athlete on the planet.

Is that guy still living?
Yep - I follow him a little. He's still pushing the envelope. None of my business of course - but I wish a guy like that would just stop. Be satisfied. I'm pretty sure he's free solo'd all of the major climbing goals out there - but I'm no authority on the subject and not that big of a fan.

But yeah.... retire. Count your blessings and go be with your family for christ's sake.

I guess I'm the first rock climber to reply to this post. Yes, what Alex does (he's done many first solos of some very classic and often difficult climbs) is risky by any reasonable rock climbing measure. Ropeless climbing like this takes a lot of time executing the moves with a rope, hoping you can keep your wits when it's showtime. Very very very few climbers engage in this activity, and even fewer of them at this level of difficulty. There have been a few notable solo climbers who have died in the past [I believe the film brushed on the subject, but it's been a while since I've watched it].

lol at the 'sweaty' viewer comment. I still get sweaty palms watching climbing videos, it's especially easy to translate the screen to real life engagement when you do the activity and have full comprehension of what's taking place.

Roped climbing is comparatively very safe (note: jaywalking is safe compared to free soloing at this level). Alex engages in a lot of roped (traditional and sport) climbing, so he's not out there every minute of everyday trying to die. Any climbs he heads up ropeless without having ever done them before are specially selected, because of say a feature (crack/hand jamming) that can be very solid and difficult to mess up, or climbs at grades much lower than his limit. He solos a lot of the easier stuff here in the Vegas area (Red Rock), where he lives. I've not run into him at the crags yet, but do know people who know him, etc. Climbing is a fairly low key activity when it comes to fame, in the end we all lace up one shoe at a time. It's often said that the best climber is the one having the most fun doing it. Alex genuinely seems to enjoy what he's doing.

I can answer any specific questions the movie may have triggered. I've been trad and sport climbing seriously for almost 15 years, and have done a bit of route development. I have a day job in IT, so I don't get into guiding but have brought newbies out on several occasions.

Climbing is a fairly low key activity when it comes to fame, in the end we all lace up one shoe at a time. It's often said that the best climber is the one having the most fun doing it. Alex genuinely seems to enjoy what he's doing.
I've been following him since I saw the movie and have learned that about him. He couldn't care any less about fame, attention, or anything of the sort. I'm sure he is fine with any money or endorsements that have come his way as a result of his success and the success of the film - but he is not about that. The guy just loves climbing and did it before fame - and will do it in spite of fame.

I've been following him since I saw the movie and have learned that about him. He couldn't care any less about fame, attention, or anything of the sort. I'm sure he is fine with any money or endorsements that have come his way as a result of his success and the success of the film - but he is not about that. The guy just loves climbing and did it before fame - and will do it in spite of fame.
I appreciate that what little fame he has generated is being applied toward his foundation which does important work getting solar power to rural/underserved parts of the world, and I think he's starting to expend it past just that. He's also not a dick, and he makes for a good spokesperson in the media for 'climbing'. It makes being a climber easier socially when the people most public facing engaging in the activity are personable and not greedy/arrogant/self absorbed.

If, say, Donald Trump was a climber then I certainly wouldn't be posting anything about being a climber publicly. lol

I guess I'm the first rock climber to reply to this post. Yes, what Alex does (he's done many first solos of some very classic and often difficult climbs) is risky by any reasonable rock climbing measure. Ropeless climbing like this takes a lot of time executing the moves with a rope, hoping you can keep your wits when it's showtime. Very very very few climbers engage in this activity, and even fewer of them at this level of difficulty. There have been a few notable solo climbers who have died in the past [I believe the film brushed on the subject, but it's been a while since I've watched it].

lol at the 'sweaty' viewer comment. I still get sweaty palms watching climbing videos, it's especially easy to translate the screen to real life engagement when you do the activity and have full comprehension of what's taking place.

Roped climbing is comparatively very safe (note: jaywalking is safe compared to free soloing at this level). Alex engages in a lot of roped (traditional and sport) climbing, so he's not out there every minute of everyday trying to die. Any climbs he heads up ropeless without having ever done them before are specially selected, because of say a feature (crack/hand jamming) that can be very solid and difficult to mess up, or climbs at grades much lower than his limit. He solos a lot of the easier stuff here in the Vegas area (Red Rock), where he lives. I've not run into him at the crags yet, but do know people who know him, etc. Climbing is a fairly low key activity when it comes to fame, in the end we all lace up one shoe at a time. It's often said that the best climber is the one having the most fun doing it. Alex genuinely seems to enjoy what he's doing.

I can answer any specific questions the movie may have triggered. I've been trad and sport climbing seriously for almost 15 years, and have done a bit of route development. I have a day job in IT, so I don't get into guiding but have brought newbies out on several occasions.
I used to climb.

I have a documentary DVD film of the french man who climbs buildings, and walked a tightrope slung between the world trade centre towers.
Climbing a rock maybe 15 feet high might be fun.
These people are extreme risk takers, which might be classed as a mental illness.
Life is dangerous enough, without seeking new ways to test the limits.
I'd be much more comfortable creating something, than risking it all.
I don't have the agility, at my age, and probably never did.

I cannot watch this. I am a fan of climbing. Did a little many years and pounds ago. Watching this guy a whisker from death makes me ill.

Back