Free microphone guide

Well, aside from the fact that Aspen got a few of his "facts" wrong, it ain't a bad primer. Some of the stereo miking techniques are very well done.

Now Aspen is a great guy and I've known him for about 30+ years. He was the assistant manager at the original Guitar Center, then he worked for me at Acoustic Control. He started Groove Tubes and kept at it. But he's not a recording engineer. He never was. So, some of his info is based on hearsay more than experience, but he's covered most of the bases.

All in all, once you remove some of the marketing BS, it's not too shabby a primer.

A few points are kinda funny; like large diaphragm mics go lower, and his picture of the snare mic positioned in the exact center of the snare as a good spot (yeah, right). Some of his explanations as to why a particular mic is used in a particular situation are also sometimes funny.

I think the "big thread" here is a little more accurate and helpful, but his booklet is far simpler for getting a quick answer.

Thanks Harvey, if you know where the errors are you can just ignore them. I was hoping you would "proofread" (sp) the booklet.

And Whoopysnorp. Sorry about that. But you should take comfort in the fact that TINSTAAFL. Then again, McDonalds and Kellogs probably could include some of the Chinese mics in their products
(Happy Meal with a free Soundking mic anyone?).
I did get my Neumann KM84 pretty cheap (but not free), I traded it for a DiMarzio humbucker I had bought second hand. At the time neither me nor the guitarist I traded with knew what this mic was or what kind of price it had. I had a Tascam 244 with no phantom power. It took me >5 years before I actually used it.

I once sent off for a mastering primer from discmasters that ended up being just a huge 50 page add for thier services.:rolleyes:

Back