Frap

Wardo

I have an old Frap acoustic guitar pickup lying around, which was taken out of an equally old D-28 many years ago. Mid '70s. Anybody know anything about it?

FRAP pickups were made by a guy named Arnie Lazarus back in the 70's and 80's.

The element is piezo. Do you have the FRAP preamp that goes with the pickup?

There were a few different models of preamps. I have a Model T, which was his most basic, and I also have a custom one-off that he did for me back in 1985.

Trance Audio is doing stuff very similar to what Arnie was up to.

Big and clunky? Do you have a model number for the preamp?

AFAIK Neil Young still uses FRAPs in his guitars. Michael Hedges used FRAPs too.

The preamp is blue and rectangular measureing 2 1/4 inches by 2 3/8, by 1 1/8 tall. This is what it says on the printed foil label "This instrument is FRAP Equipped." In small letters above "equipped" it says Flat Response Audio Pickup. At the bottom is says Made in USA. Beside that is Serial # 623. Above that it is stamped, mfo, into the foil label.

I would post a photo if I knew how. I can put photos on my facebook page if anyone wants to see it. Thanks.

100_2574.JPGSeems odd that I can't find much info about this FRAP on the internet. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.

That is the first one of those I have seen. Looks to be in great shape for being almost 35 years old.

Just dug out all my old FRAP notes and came across a few things....... That pickup is a GF-100, with a 3-D transducer. The preamp is the same design as Arnie's top-of-the-line F-350. It was FRAP's "finest guitar system".

The piezo pickup has a "sweet spot" that you can find by tapping and marking with a pencil. Generally the most sensitive part of the pickup.

Arnie's notes suggested using either wax or RTV silicone to mount the pickup. Other folks have suggested double-sided tape but I would imagine that would affect the high-end response, making it sound dull. You might try Scotch removable poster tape, it's pretty thin and not too sticky. The layout is usually in line with the bridge pins on the treble side of the bridge, right up against the top brace. You could also try mounting the element on the top with wax or tape just to see if you like how it sounds.

FRAP's and piezos in general are known to be a little "brittle" sounding. In live situations Arnie suggested using a notch filter to help with feedback.

I would slap a couple 9v batteries in that baby and see if it passes signal.

Many thanks! Good info to know. One thing: when I got it installed in a Martin D 28, the specs called for lithium 9 volt batteries, which of course, are no longer available. You think a regular 9v is ok, will do no damage?

Back