Four-way mic shootout - female vox!

McMajik

Because mic shootouts are cool. Four radically different mics, don't think I'm going to tell you what any of them are yet though, get some opinions on them first.

Everything was running into channels three through six on the liquid saffire 56 we have down the studio, and level matched to within 0.1 of a db within Cubase before export.

These clips are mono, by the way, some players don't take too kindly to mono files. They work in VLC though.

View attachment Mic 1.mp3
View attachment Mic 2.mp3
View attachment Mic 3.mp3
View attachment Mic 4.mp3

my perception with headphones

Listening over head phones:
Mic1: extremely neutral...a little tubby...my least favorite...has some distortion in places.
Mic2: clearer than one...but still a little too neutral to cut in a mix...distortion on this too...(Maybe my headphones)
Mic3: Clearer yet...my favorite so far
Mic4: nice...not as bright as 3 and has less low end..my second favorite after mic3

Thanks for posting, and well done on the vocal performance!

If I were sitting down to use one of these in a mix, I would reach for Mic #4 first. To my ears, it had the best balance of brightness and body that complimented your voice quite well. Mic #3 would be my second choice - it also fit your voice well, but was lacking some of the fullness that I heard in #4.

I did not like #1 or #2 at all.

Again, well done on the performance. Can you let us in on which mic's you used?

Not my vocal performance, I should mention. I had a friend in who's a real vocalist and everything, and had her doing crap like this in lieu of payment for the session (I had a point to prove to the other engineer about mic #1. He uses it for everything, which is mostly female vocalists we get through).

I can't find any spoiler tags or anything on here, so i think I'll hold of a ~liiittle~ bit longer on which is which :p

Back