Found REALISTIC Minimus 77s

scottmd06

These were at a local Savers for $12.99. Seem pretty solid. Anyone know anything about these speakers? Online it looks like I might need to replace some gaskets and such but these might make some decent studio monitors, right?

Who knows, they might be fine, they might suck.

Radio Shack never made anything, they stuck their name on other people's products, the same as Sears does with Kenmore.

For sure take off the grilles and see if the foam surrounds are intact. If they aren't pass on them. It's only worth rerfoaming brand name speakers.

In general, heavy = good, light = crap

Oh theyre heavy alright, theyre metal boxes lol Hooked them up to my home stereo and they sound pretty good. 55 watts each and the frequency response is apparently 50hz to 20khz. When I opened them up one of them had some splitting in the foam around the cone. Just going to work on that one since the other is intact.

EH but I should refurbish both so I have equal sound coming from each. Look at what I get myself into.... Im already rebuilding a reel to reel because I couldnt test it before I bought it and come to find out it needs a lot of work. Ugh.

I love these little metal-cabinet babies. Got a pair of M-7's a pair of M-7W (wood veneer) and a pair of M-3.5's. As I recall, the 77's were a bit cheaper than the 7's, but IMHO they are all under-appreciated little gems. Most things Radioshack rather suck, but these (and some huge, 15-inch home audio speakers) are really good stuff. I'd use them for desk-top studio monitors, for sure- they may not have a perfectly flat response, and they may color the sound here and there (who knows, really?) but I'd use 'em.

http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/

I just looked the Minimus 77's up (didn't recall the model) and I had a pair of metal RS speakers in the 80's that could have been them. They actually sounded good, the speakers were high quality, especially the tweeter.

I have a friend who has done tons of tv ads here and operates a major studio and he was a fan of those speakers.

As far as the tear... maybe a little gel type crazy glue might help if it's not too large a repair area.

its the whole ring around that one cone just splitting to bits. im going to set these aside until i can replace the rings and make sure nothing else gets hurt. right now that cone is pretty much free floating =/

I love these little metal-cabinet babies. Got a pair of M-7's a pair of M-7W (wood veneer) and a pair of M-3.5's. As I recall, the 77's were a bit cheaper than the 7's, but IMHO they are all under-appreciated little gems. Most things Radioshack rather suck, but these (and some huge, 15-inch home audio speakers) are really good stuff. I'd use them for desk-top studio monitors, for sure- they may not have a perfectly flat response, and they may color the sound here and there (who knows, really?) but I'd use 'em.

Hmmmm...I'm not sure I'd rely on them for critical listening applications, but that certainly doesn't mean that they suck or anything.

I don't need critical-listening gear- my home studio is nothing special, and I am not much of an engineer. Supporting one's son, who is a professional engineer, complete with his own pro multi-track studio, who returns the favor by being willing to record any project I deem worthy, will make you lazy in that regard... I don't abuse the privilidge, though.

Back