Found perfect neoprene for doors!

ap

I've tried plain old foam neoprene strips (actually, it's not neoprene. It's epdm rubber. Which is what all foam type neoprene is really. You can't make pure neoprene lower than 40 durometer, which is WAY too stiff to compress with human force) in various thicknesses around 1/8". It works fine in terms of air tightness but has other practical problems.

First, even though it feels soft and easily squishable in the half inch or so of space between your fingers, when that pressure is multiplied over the area of a door's perimeter(80''+36"+80"+36"=232" vs 1/2") it takes about 464 times as much force to actually close the door! Luckily, the leverage of the door allows the neoprene on the hinge side to compress easily, but the last few degrees have required me to rig up a custom screw type assembly to close the door enough to match the knob thingy with the strike plate.

Another problem is that if your doors aren't perfectly straight(mine are VERY old and not straight) the neoprene has to be thick enough to take up the valleys and have enough on top of that to provide some compression in those low spots. This means that it's extra thick in the high spots, making it even harder to close.

I've just been dealing with it until now that I've found a better design. I've cut a cross section and scanned it in. It's magnified several times here. The shape of the hollow center is much more easily compressed than the neoprene itself, while the extra thickness of this easily compressed section takes up any slack in the uneveness of the door. I plan on placing my stops so that on average, the door compresses the hollow section just to the point of contact with the bottom section, but doesn't have to compress the neoprene itself.

These strips are 3/8" wide and about 3/16" tall. When compressed to the point just described they're a little less than 1/8" tall. It has peel off self-adhesive on the back, which seem to be the same stuff I have on my flat strips now and that's held for a year with no signs of failure.

It's $1.72 a foot which seems reasonable enough except that I have to buy a shiite load to get that price. Anybody wanna go in with me?

BTW, I can also get 40 and 60 durometer neoprene if anyone is looking for that. I can't remember the price exactly but do remember it was way cheaper than I've found it for on the net. He gave me all I needed free just get me outta there!

I've also found a local place that has 703 FRK for something like $.95/square foot. I'd be happy to help anyone with any of this if you go in with me on the epdm strips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 469
I need 500 feet to get that rate. A typical 36" door is a little over 19 feet. If you figure most people need to treat at least two doors, then we'd need around twelve people. If we can at least get close I'll eat the extra.

How much 703 do you need? Have you looked into shipping costs? If it's worth it to you and you're really desperate, you don't really need to go in with me on the neoprene. I'll still get it for you. It will probably actually make me look better to the guy at the supply house who is probably tired of me calling and never buying. They get my name each time and I'm sure they think I'm a small time chump they shouldn't waste their time with. The bigger my final purchase is, the less of fool I'll look and feel. The price may even get better with more quantity.

That goes for anyone really- I'd be happy to help. If it gets really big, like all day boxing, addressing and borrowing my bosses truck big, I may have to ask for some kind of mandatory donation:( I would think, though, that this stuff would not be very cost effecient to send.

Where are you located?

I've been bugging my dad to ask about it at Lowe's. He told me that some guy said that they're not making it anymore. A load of horseshit.

If he can't get it.. I'll have to actually look.

North Carolina. I got the guy at Lowes to actually call Owens Corning. They said they don't sell 703 to retail stores.

Ah. I do believe that I'll actually have to look now. Do you think that one of the other types of fiberglass that are similar to 703 might be available? My dad gets stuff at 10% above cost if he has to special order it.

I don't see why not. It's not as if 703's not available either. It's just not sold to the public. That doesn't mean the public can't get it. You just have to find a place that supplies contractors and is willing to sell it to you. Some places will, some won't. All you have to do is open the yellow pages to "insulation contractors", "insulation materials", etc. and call every single one.

hmmmm, if you could get me some prices for the 703 id gladly pay for it and shipping and a little on the side for your time.....

Yeah, the stuff looks the same, but the dimensions are different.

Hey, ap, if those dimensions you have are accurate, the stuff seems like it should work great. I may be interested in going in with you, but I'd have to check to see how much I need. I'd be needing it for six doors, but they're varying sizes.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks for the link laptoppop, but I don't think that stuff would work too well. It's too tall.

RickW, six doors, eh? That'll take a hefty chunk right there. We're almost there! FWIW, I've already decided I'm getting the 500 feet. If anybody wants in, speak up now, 500 feet won't go as far as you might think. I guess it's possible we could end up needing MORE than 500 feet.

notbradsohner, I'll check on the 703 tomorrow and let you know. Have you checked shipping? I imagine these would be some pretty big boxes. Hopefully I can pick them up in boxes and ship in the same. If so, I'll buy a few units tomorrow, take 'em to the nearby UPS, and check on shipping to some random locales. Anyone interested can PM your zip if you want.

ya, mine is 43026

dont buy that stuff yet if you get this in time. i would like to get some prices first. thanks

oh, and i think i will take some of theat neoprene too, for three doors. how much was it a foot?

This is what I did today: picked up 27 sheets of 5/8 drywall, took it home, unloaded it by myself about 50+ feet to the back yard, went back and got 44 rolls of insulation wrapped in pallet plastic in three bundles of 12 with 8 left over, stacked 'em close to 8 feet high in the back of a standard sized pickup, drove home without tying them down, ran a red light on the way because I didn't want to topple the bundles out- of course it had to be an intersection with a license plate camera so that little trip's gonna cost an extra $50- unloaded the rolls, went back out to pickup some 703, took that to UPS and priced the shipping, and finally made it to work only about 45 minutes late. I've had a busy day.

The rigid fiberglass is actually Certainteed's 703 and 705 equivalent. The guy says only three people make this stuff and it's all the same for a given density- owens corning, certainteed, and Mansville.

The 1" 703 comes in boxes of 12 pieces which is 96 sqr. ft. The 2" comes in identical boxes in size and weight but half as many pieces and area of coverage. The boxes are shippable but not robust at all and I would suspect the corners would be mashed a bit by UPS.

Prices per square foot are: $.64 for 1" 703; $.98 for 2" 703; $.90 for 1" 705; and $1.55 for 2" 705.

Shipping price per box to Atlanta is $23.95; NYC $27.60; Miami $33.80; KC, MO $33.80; LA $59.85.

If you need several boxes, a trucking company would be more efficient and I'd guess it'd be on the order of $50-100 regardless of number of boxes in the range of 1-10. Just a guess.

Let me know if this works for anyone.

Hey ap, I'm willing to go in with you on the neopreone. I only need enough for 2 doors. Whats that going to cost me?

Chingon, it's $1.72/foot. I've figured around 20 feet for a 36" door. That should leave you with a little room for error on most doors. Shouldn't cost much to send. To make things simple I guess we could settle on a set price for shipping, like say, $5?

notbradsohner, how big is your door? Now that I think about it, the difference between a 30" and 36" door is only one foot perimeter, so I guess it doesn't really matter- make it an even 20 feet?

by the way, can i get some 703 later, my budget is gone

Not a problem at all.

Back