Found an Ampex 350 with Inovics Upgrade...

Found an Ampex 350 with Inovonics Upgrade...

So, as some of you may know, I have an ad up in the local classifieds requesting a professional tape machine...

This morning I received this.

Hello,
I have an Ampex 350 with 2 Inovonics preamps. As far as I know it is in good working condition. I also have a factory manual for it. If you are interested, you can have it for $350. please let me know..
John Williamson

What do you think? The price looks great, but I don't know, the original tube 350 modules were cool, and might be more in the range of what i'd be looking for.

I don't know a thing about Inovics, and it''s the first time I've heard the name. Someone fill me in here.

Last edited:
Inovonics made solid-state replacements and other upgrades for these machines. The solid-state modules are probably much higher fidelity than the originals, but they will obviously have a different sound.

+1 to what jpmorris said...

The 350 transports are very "basic" by today's standards but very reliable.

The Inovonics electronics modules are very well made and well-known/supported.

They ain't gonna sound like the original tube 350 electronics.

All boils down to the condition of the heads AFAIC...as well as what you want to do with the machine. If you benefit from/need ANY kind of transport logic (i.e. STC or other locate points...or something as basic as a tape counter) then the 350 will not meet those kinds of needs.

Well, the condition of the heads is definitely my biggest concern at this point for sure. Assuming that it is a 1/4" 2 track, It will most likely be used as a mastering deck, so no smart tape controls needed...

Come to think of it, I think we might have some original 350 modules lying around in storage at the studio I work at.

But, that leads me to this question. Did 350's always have tube powered modules stock? I know that there are at least 2 versions of the module, the taller (older) one with a centered meter, and the short variety with the meter on the left hand side... What's the difference between these module designs? I think we have the short left-meter ones in storage.

There were a number of 300 series machines and not all valve state. 300, 354 to name a couple...and they all look very similar as far as the transport.

A factory Ampex 350 was always a "tube deck".

Back