Foucsrite penta and color ?

JoelEric26

OK I am still a relative newbie at all of this, but I am reading and taking it all in. The only mic pre that I own right now is a Focusrite Penta. I use it with an MXL V67, an Alesis AM51, a Neumann KM84, and a Shure SM 57.

My question is that I read a lot of talk about colored mic pre's. I know that Joe Meek and Great River are considered to be "colored" and that a Grace 101 is considered "clean."

My question is can some tell me if the Foucisrite platinum pre's are considered to be "colored" or not? I know that it has a tube emulation knob that introduces harmonics to the signal. I use it judiciously on vocals and a little more aggressively on DI'ed bass, but I am thinking that the mic pre itself is generally pretty clean. Is that a correct assumption ?

Also, what exactly am I listening for when determining color ? I know ultimately it is something I will hear with my own ears, but before I drop any money on another pre to expand my tonal palate I would like to know what my current palate is considered to be. When the time comes to upgrade, should I be thinking clean or colored next ?

And for reference most of my recording would be considered rock/acoustic pop.

JoelEric26 said:
I use it judiciously on vocals and a little more aggressively on DI'ed bass, but I am thinking that the mic pre itself is generally pretty clean. Is that a correct assumption ? Yup.

"Color" is just the difference between the actual sound coming out of the tail end of the mic, and what ends up being recorded. Color can be good or bad, and I'm not familiar with enough gear to even tell you what's what. Ergo, I like "Uncolor." From what I understand, it's easier to make a cheap, good, clean pre than a cheap, good, colored pre. In fact I hear the latter is nearly impossible.

Back