Fostex X-18

hottrocker

I find very little in the way of info on this particular four track recorder. I have tried the fostex site and other boards. Anyone know about this recorder and how best to get good tracks out of it. I am a super newbie. I hope you dont hold that against me. I am a fast learner. I just got interested in recording all my own stuff being that I can play all parts. I have lots of ideas that before laying them down would evaporate. So if anyone has heard of this unit I would be happy for any heads up about getting the most bang for my buck. I also have a Teac 3440 syncaset that is out for repairs that I will be using. I am using for mixdown an Alesis 24 mixing board. But I have soundforge cubase and a couple of the cheaper computer based ones. Any ideas on which way to go? Im not looking to do any real pro stuff but would like to learn how to do stuff right the first time.

Welcome to the board hottrocker......wow, that's a loaded post! I've never heard of the four track you mentioned...is it digital? Sounds like you have a good start on the equipment though. This forum is full of folks with MR8's, VF80's and VF160's even a few 16's and a few others I've never heard of. Long and the short of it is, if you're going to find someone with the info you're looking for, you'll find em here.
Those of us with MR8's basically use our machines for recording and transfer to computer via USB for mixing. A lot of us use n-Track for that. That's where my experience is. I'm kind of a newbie to the recording world too.
Lots of good folks here, just hang tight and someone will eventually find your thread.

bd

BTW, you'll find some very useful information at the Homerecording.com website if you haven't already been there.

I just picked up a Fostex X-18 at a thrift store for $10. I made sure it powered up by attaching a wall wart from another device (yes I checked the specs).

When I tried it at home I found that when I pressed the play button it would not play unless I repped the case next to the button, then it played fine. Having some experience in these matters, I carefully opened the case but since there were several wires connecting the halves I could only give it a good shot of canned air.

When I got it back together and tried it again the play worked fine. Later I did a complete test and found it seems to work. It will run on batteries (10 AA) so I am just using that for check out.

As for your question, this is my first 4 track but I have done profession level stereo recording and I play several instruments. One reason I felt this one was worth to gamble was it came with the instructions. I bet they are available for download somewhere, you may want to check Fostex.com. I checked and found no listing of that model so I submitted a request.

Bob Zimmerman

I bought mine new many many moons ago and still have the manual. What do you want to know?

I used it mostly for room recording my band live and for practicing improvisation.

It's certainly a rugged little bugger with the exception of the reset button for the tape counter.

This thing has been dropped numerous times and it still works.

I did have to replace the voltage regualtor for the DC power input a couple of times when I 1st bought it.

This thread was started some time ago when I didnt even have the unit. Since then I have found out much in the way of the workings of the X-18. As far as cassette tape multi tracking goes I have found it to be OK. It is a rugged bugger. Mine has found its way to the floor a couple of times. I have taken it everywhere from bars I have played in to the practice jams in the cellar. It is good enough for a quick and dirty record. But not so sophisticated that you spend most of your time setting the damn thing up. So I would say that its a good battlefield multitracker. I am looking to go digital as soon as I can afford to. For that I am seriously considering an MR-8. I wish mine had cost me 10 bucks. I picked it up for 40. But I was just hot to start multitracking.

Yeah I used it as a battle field recorder and it did just fine.

I wanted a quicker way to upload to my PC instead of in realtime so that I could burn a CD for my band mates.

I moved up to the MR8 because of the USB interface. But it really isn't practical for battle field recoding of long gigs/jams given the memory size and price of larger sized compact flash cards.

I found this out afterwords.

I did just receive a STeno Pr0 512MB flash card in the mail today to try out in the MR8. Can't wait to try it.

Back