Fostex VF160EX effects question

DropjawBertone

Hello!

I just recently bought a Fostex VF160EX multitrack recorder and so far I really love it. I'm an analog man all the way but this unit produces a comparable sound to the analog quality I've grown accustomed to.

My question is this.... Does anyone know how to apply the built-in digital effects to a track just in mono rather than stereo? For example... when I record, say, an acoustic guitar track dry, without any effects... and then later, apply reverb to it from the Fostex effects library, it sounds great. But, if I pan the guitar to the left, the reverb is still applied to both the left and right channels (even though the guitar was only recorded in mono to one track). So I can still hear the reverb (just the effect) in the right channel as well as in the left channel along with the guitar. I want to make it so that when I pan the instrument, the effect gets panned with it, in mono. Please help! Thank you all, in advance!

Dropjaw Bertone

First all the recording channels are mono, so the effect you put on them is also mono. You have a left and right buss and, on playback, you feed the recording via the pan control into either the left buss or the right buss or a mixture of both. The pan control locates the signal from the mono channel onto a point in the stereo field. ( I hope that is clearer than mud!!)

So you want your guitar to be on the left and your guitar+reverb to be on the right, for example.
Record the guitar onto track 1 and then copy the exact recording onto track 2. Apply the reverb effect onto track 2. Now, on playback, put PAN of track 1 to the left and PAN of track 2 to the right.

All the tracks are mono. When you playback you want a stereo output. i.e. you cram all the mono tracks into TWO tracks for stereo output. So the mono tracks all become part of the two stereo tracks. (bounce down) The pan control sets how much of that mono track goes to the left (stereo) output track and how much goes to the right output. You pan across the stereo field with the mono output.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sorry I think I missed the point. I looked at the block diagram and it would seem that you can direct the effects into different busses. I am not a VF160 person (I have a MR16) but if you look at the diagram and the switching, I recon you could get both the guitar and the effect on two channels. I do suggest you do a copy of your guitar solo to a second track and use track 1 for left and track 2 for right.

My comments about each track being mono still stands and you need to direct the track, via the pan control, to the left or right channel.

Hi Terfyn. Thank you for the reply.

I'm trying to do it another way hopefully because I already have all 16 tracks used for my song... and I want to apply different effects to each track and then pan the track. It seems like it should be a simple thing to just add the effect to the track and not have to copy and bounce it to another track (especially since every track is already used). I don't like bouncing down because I like to have individual control of each track at all times. So... since every track is already used, I'm wondering if there is a way to apply the effect (in mono as stated before) to just the instrument on the track. It doesn't make sense that a manufacturer of a multitrack recorder would make it so unpractical/difficult to add effects to the tracks. Still trying to figure it out.

Thanks again for your help!

Dropjaw

(1) You have 24 tracks available in the VF160
(2) effects are applied during playback and are controlled via the scenes memory

Paj
8^)

Back