Fostex VF-16 Dat File Conversion

C

CST

New member
My father used a Fostex VF-16 for home recording for many years. I have the original Dat data as well as the final Audio files with one exception. I found a CD titled final mix down in a Dat file format. The information on the CD states it is a recording from 1956 of my Grandmother who was a very talented musician. I am looking for options on how to compile / resolve this fiile to a format I can listen to. My father has passed and the Fostex VF-16 no longer exists. Thanks in advance for any input.
 
Have you tried using VLC (VideoLan) to play the DAT data files? VLC has multiple codecs and the ability to recognize a vast myriad of audio format headers. It may be able to recognize the raw audio data from the header and choose the right codec to decode the audio.


You might also be able to import the raw data into Audacity. You'll probably need to specify the bit depth and sample rate which should be 16 bit/44.1k for the Fostex. If Audacity can import the data, you should be able to export it to standard WAV, MP3, or Flac format. If it's something you want to preserve, I would use lossless WAV or FLAC, not MP3.
 
Back
Top