Fostex R8 capstan spindle to tape clearance

campbellr

I've just bought a Fostex R8 and have noticed that the clearance between the capstan spindle and the tape is close to zero. Of course I mean when the capstan roller is not engaged against the capstan spindle.

I've attached an image. (yes I know it all needs a good clean, I'll get to that!)

Could anyone with an R8 have a look and let me know what kind of clearance they can see or measure please.

Attachments

• R8 capstan-1.JPG
    R8 capstan-1.JPG
    413.4 KB · Views: 6
  • R8 capstan-2.JPG
    R8 capstan-2.JPG
    563.7 KB · Views: 6
Can you post a picture of the entire tape path also please? Are you sure you have the tape threaded correctly?

If it’s not touching the capstan shaft when the pinch roller is not engaged, then there’s no problem. It doesn’t matter if it’s a minuscule clearance. But let’s verify tape is loaded correctly.

Picture of the entire tape path is attached. With the pinch roller not engaged the tape is either touching or so close I can't see the gap.

Attachments

• R8 capstan-3.JPG
    R8 capstan-3.JPG
    555.5 KB · Views: 9
Looks good. I wouldn’t worry about it. The tape wraps part way around the capstan shaft on my Ampex MM-1000 at all times. The tape rubs on multiple static surfaces all the time when it’s moving. I don’t think there is anything wrong with your machine.

Thanks for the reassurance but I am a worrier! Let’s see if we can get someone with an R8 to check the clearance on their machine.

The service manual shows the direct path with no gap, as do these photos. The manual does not show any adjustment for these components so the gap is not even adjustable.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 21.07.49.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 21.07.49.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 21.06.13.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 21.06.13.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 20.59.44.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-21 at 20.59.44.png
    167.8 KB · Views: 4
The service manual shows the direct path with no gap, as do these photos. The manual does not show any adjustment for these components so the gap is not even adjustable.
Thanks for the photos Rob. I think the manual shows the tape path with the pinch roller engaged, so you would expect the tape to be touching the capstan. Are the photos taken from your machine?

The tape will be lifted away from the heads when the machine is in fast forward or rewind and this should also lift it away from the capstan. So this looks like it is probably normal.

The tape will be lifted away from the heads when the machine is in fast forward or rewind and this should also lift it away from the capstan. So this looks like it is probably normal.
Yes but the capstan spindle is still rotating when the R8 is at stop. That’s why I’m concerned about the clearance.

No - I just collected as many images as I could to see if any were different. If you are worried something is adrift maybe a short video clip would work better?
I think a video would be great but I guess would show that the clearance is really small or non existent. I really need another R8 owner to check the clearance on their machine.

You could try the old cigarette paper trick. Slot it between the capstan and the tape. You can then assess the friction between the two surfaces. My guess is that it will happily slide left and right and not get propelled sideways out of your fingers.

I’ll give that a try. I’ve also found someone else nearby who has an R8 so I’m going to visit and compare the tape path on their machine.

The capstan running when the tape is sitting idle is normal. It shouldn't take much clearance for the capstan to lose grip on the tape. I have a R8 that needs a capstan motor. R4322-74452A if anyone knows where I can find one that doesn't require me to take out a second mortgage on my house, lmk.

The capstan running when the tape is sitting idle is normal. It shouldn't take much clearance for the capstan to lose grip on the tape. I have a R8 that needs a capstan motor. R4322-74452A if anyone knows where I can find one that doesn't require me to take out a second mortgage on my house, lmk.
Can you post a pic of the label on the motor?

Back