Fostex MR8HDCD?

electricdread

I am considering buying the Fostex MR8HDCD and would really appreciate some advice on this piece of equipment eg pros and cons of buying it. I had the old
Fostex MR8 and was really pissed off with all the problems with the memory card. Anyway, your adice would be sincerly appreciated
ElectricDread

Terfyn! A question!

Is it worth getting these multitrackers with the built in cd burner? I am thinking it would cut down at lot of time and bother for me getting one of those but is it actually worthwhile in reality?

Two sets of ideas here.
The first is that the computer gives a better and wider range of editing programs so use the MR8 to record and use the computer to edit and burn your CD.
The second (and my view) is that the MR8 (MR16) gives enough versatility to produce a good CD (provided you want almost a direct copy of your input recording) and the benefit of having the CD burner "on-board" makes life a lot easier.
Incidentally you can also burn the individual tracks to a CD and transfer that to a computer.(I've not done that yet)

You are quite right. The MR16 does have EQ settings (33 of them) but they are not variable and you are stuck with the Fostex choice.
One extra the MR16 has is the Aux Out sockets. These can be assigned to any track so I patch back to the Inputs from the Aux Out (set to,say, tracks 1 & 2) and record tracks 1 & 2 to tracks 3 & 4 through the EQ settings. It is possible to listen to the EQ effects in real time and chose the on that works best. Not ideal but Fostex can add to the effects through a software update if they want (I suggested that one of the EQ effects had variable parameters for High,Mid and Low)
One of the reasons I chose Fostex MR was the FOUR live Inputs compared to two on some machines.

Back