Fostex MR8 as recording front-end; Audacity as mixer/editor...

Simon Beck

Just had the idea of squeezing as many first-generation tracks as possible out of a Fostex MR-8 by recording four mono tracks, transferring them to Audacity, putting a rough backing mix back on the Fostex for the next set of four mono tracks, and eventually ending up with perhaps 24 or 32 synched tracks in Audacity without having to put up with its awful recording facility. Has anyone tried this?

This is really what the MR8 was designed to do, act as a front end to a PC editing suite. Guess you will have downloaded WAVManager by now.

That's how I work anyway - just not with so many tracks! I start by programming 1-bar drum or percussion patterns (count-in, main pattern, fills and breaks) using a nifty freeware drum machine called HammerHead 1.0, export them as WAVs, arrange them into a complete song in Audacity and then export the finished drum track as a WAV and put it on the Fostex. I then add keyboards, bass, vocals, whatever, and finally I port the individual tracks back to the PC to edit and mix to mono in Audacity.

Here's an example:

Wurly and organ: Nord Electro 3 73
Brass: Casio WK-3000
Bass: Stagg EDB 3/4 electric upright.

Back