fostex model 80 or r 80

spinneyb

Hi,I've been after a reel to reel recorder, i've been offered two, one is a Fostex model 80 and one is a Fostex R8, can someone tell me the difference between the two, I know they are both quater inch 8 track but does one have a better spec the the other? many thanks, Simon

Now im not positive but the 80 I think was their large 8 track and it will use 10.5 inch reels with 1/4 inch tape. It would be concidered their prosumer machine, it is twice the size and weight of a r8.
I have had 3 of the R8 fostexs and its a nice machine, It sounds good, Runs at 15ips has dolby c noise reduction. And its easy to carry if you want to take it some place with you.
As far as the real specs on them I cant help you.
I was in a band that recorded at a studio that used the 80 and it did a good job other than that, Thats about all I can tell you about it.

I think I would take the one that is in the best condition all around.
If im not correct on the size of reels on the 80 and it only takes 7 inch reels
than I would go with the R8 since its a newer unit.

Hope this helps and makes sense

I have the Model 80 and it's an awesome sounding machine !!

Should be very similar to the R8 which if I'm not wrong is the newer version and has better synch capabilities... not sure though.

The A8 is the oldest one and is cabable of recording only 4 tracks at once. Both the M80 and R8 can do 8.

All in all I can say I;m very fond of my M80 which sounds excellent.

Also, consider taking the one with the least weat/tear on it.

From the pictures I saw of the model 80 on the web, it looks like it only used 7" reels, not 10.5".

I owned an R8 for a short while. it's a nice compact deck that sounds decent for its format but the high end response was pretty subdued, compared to my TASCAM 38 that I got to replace it many years ago.

Cheers! :)

You guys are correct I was thinking of the E8 I think is the number of the machine that uses the 10.5 inch reels.

Back