Fostex g16 recording issue

phil-fw

fostex.jpg

Hi
Can anyone tell me what these LEDs mean? I can't any reference to them in the manual.
All I know is that when I try to record... I get nothing.

I believe I am selecting the tracks to READY and checking the levels on the LED Meter and all looks OK. But nothing records.

Maybe a fuse is blown somewhere?

Thanks
Phil

OK... at the severe risk of sounding like a true idiot ---- Is it possible that if a tape is played right out to the end.... and then left on the take-up spool ... and then put back on the machine... in the assumption that it is a feed spool.. then you would not be using the tape correctly? Thinking about it... the correct surface would still be presented to the heads.. hmmm the reason I ask is that I changed tape and now recording is working ok (???) I tried two other tapes and nothing would record. Using the same setup. Baffling.

Phil

LTC is linear timecode - also known as SMPTE timecode. If you aren't synchronising your machine to anything you can ignore those lights.

You just select the tracks to record and then press the record and play button at the same time to start recording. Check that you don't have the headshield up when threading the tape.

OK... at the severe risk of sounding like a true idiot ---- Is it possible that if a tape is played right out to the end.... and then left on the take-up spool ... and then put back on the machine... in the assumption that it is a feed spool.. then you would not be using the tape correctly? Thinking about it... the correct surface would still be presented to the heads.. hmmm the reason I ask is that I changed tape and now recording is working ok (???) I tried two other tapes and nothing would record. Using the same setup. Baffling.

Phil

The inside of the reel is the oxide side where the recording exists. Running a reel through the machine to the take up reel and then moving that as the feed reel will still have the oxide on the inside. (this isn't a Mobius strip, after all) If you were to record on the tape first, and then flip it as you describe, you should hear sound, but backwards.

Not to sound condescending, but I'm actually somewhat surprised by this type of question. I learned how tape recording worked when I was about 8 yrs old! It's not rocket science. It seems people try to make things harder than they really are!

Yes - broadly speaking - but it is upside down too so any special tracks such as timing would be displaced also. I think it is also complicated by the fact that while most audio tapes run with glossy side out, some of the coatings are different. I inherited 4 AMPEX tapes and don't know what happened to them earlier. In any case it is working now so I am quite content.

I inherited 4 AMPEX tapes and don't know what happened to them earlier. In any case it is working now so I am quite content.
Forget about trying to use any Ampex tape. It will only cause you grief. If you have to use used tape then stick to BASF as they are about the only common brand that doesn't have too many issues. However, it would be far better to pick up some new reels of Recording The Masters SM911.

Back