Fostex E8 help please

ReelFostex!

I just got a Fostex E8...it's huge...no reels yet...but the unit is hardly used. the question is...without reels/tape I wanted to test it out as best I could...It rewinds fast fowards fine and quiet...BUT...press play w/o reels or tape and the speed is still as fast as fast forward...do I have a problem, or will it go away with tape installed does the tape sensor need to be activated in order for it to slow down?...be gentle...I am new at this...but the unit is unused as well as I can see, still in the same original box. Thanks!!!:)

Thanks & thanks for the Fostex documentation site.

Thanks...that makes sense...yes I will get it checked out....it is so nice...omg it weight 75 lbs...and is clean...new tape, yes I have their site and will use only new 1.5 mil tape...as the manual says...thanks so much!

I just got a Fostex E8...it's huge...no reels yet...but the unit is hardly used. the question is...without reels/tape I wanted to test it out as best I could...It rewinds fast fowards fine and quiet...BUT...press play w/o reels or tape and the speed is still as fast as fast forward...do I have a problem, or will it go away with tape installed does the tape sensor need to be activated in order for it to slow down?...be gentle...I am new at this...but the unit is unused as well as I can see, still in the same original box. Thanks!!!:)

Yes, once a reel of tape is loaded, the reel motors will slow right down to the normal running speed. Without a tape loaded, as you have it now, they are speeding up to take up the slack...or at least that's what they "think" they are doing! :D They don't actually know that there's no reel of tape loaded so they're just happily spinning away, dutifully taking up the slack in the tape which isn't actually there! ;)

Cheers! :)

Yes indeed. You can test what Ghost is saying by raising both tension arms and then hitting PLAY. Probably one of the reel tables (the takeup side) will kick over and spin but then slow to a stop, but if you slowly lower the supply tension arm you'll get the supply table to spin up (clockwise) and if you lower the takeup tension arm you'll get the takeup reel table to spin up (counter-clockwise)...lower the takeup arm enough and it all comes to a stop.

thanks guys

The E8 is fine...its the Model 80's I really want to get them up and running, they have a very nice high frequency output...with a good bottom end, as well.

Back