FOSTEX E-16 led's

muttley

:eek: Might anyone know why the led's on the E-16 meterbridge quit working around the zero mark? they short out ,if the signal gets to the +4 mark or so they then continue to light up with the zero area still being unlit. I've replaced the individual strips and this can continue to happen again.

HELP THANKS!

I used to have an E16 and the problem with the led strips was well known to Fostex. I would periodically replace the ones that got to a point where they were not usable anymore. They would stop working at random areas on the strip top, bottom, middle ect.

I live close enough to Fostex so at the time I owned the machine I would go there an pick them up for about $15.00 a piece. I remeber talking to one of the service guys one time about and he said was not uncommon for them to go out and there was nothing wrong with the deck. (maybe a quirk in the design I don't know).

It was never a big deal other than the hassle replacing them and the $15.00

Regards,
TJ

The only reason an LED (strip or not) would fail in less then it's rated lifetime (years) would be if there was too much current going through it. It may be worthwhile to up the value of the series resistor going to the LED (or add one if there is none in the circuit). The cost may be a slight decrease in light output but it would save replacing them frequently.

I have not seen a schematic for this deck but I'm sure it would not be too difficult a mod.

Kevin.

Back