Fostex D1624mkII is noisy

skippy

So the site is freaking out and eating posts again, eh?

Acoustically, yes it is. I talked about a series of mods that have been applicable to the earlier D-series rackmount units in this thread: http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=19703

I made my mods the to the D1624 (Mark I), but they should still work for you. The biggest problem is the drive cooling fan, and that's a relatively easy fix. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
This was my first time posing and I’m not sure where the actual message I posted went so here it is.

After doing quite a bit of research on dedicated hard disk recorders I finally decided that the Fostex Dx24 machines were that ones that best suited my needs ( I can elaborate on my reasons if requested)

I only have one complaint so far… It’s noisy.

When I first turned it on I was going to send it back to the store because I thought that it was defective. There was this noise coming from inside that box that would prevent any serious audio professional (and I’m not even that professional) from using this device in a real world application ( Ok, so I could move the machine to the other side of the room and put it in a sound proof box… but should I really have to do that?)

After opening the unit up I discovered that the sound was coming from the hard drive cooling fan. My first thought was that this fan must be defective or Fostex just installs low quality fans in their products and I would have to replace it.

So, I decided to unscrew the fan to take a closer look and discovered that the fan itself was quite silent. The noise was being generated from the fan vibrating against the hard disk chassis in which it was attached.

Now I was quite pissed off because I thought here is a professional audio product from Fostex that they rave about as having awesome sound quality (which is does) and then the go ahead and install a fan in such a way that renders the product useless in a professional recording environment! It sort of scares me to think that Fostex thought this noise level to be acceptable enough to put the product on the market!

Anyway, here is what I think I am going to do. First I will file down the outside of the fan so it cannot vibrate against the hard drive chassis. Then I am going to screw the fan back in with some rubber washers to better isolate the unit from the chassis.

If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

Chris

Thanks skippy for your response. I did see the thread where you were discussing a similar problem. You would think Fostex would have fixed this in the latest product version!

Chris.

Back