Fostex A8 problem

HendryJ

Hello all,

I recently encountered a problem with my Fostex A8. I've used this machine alot and a few weeks ago we recorded on it and it played back nicely as usual. But when i plugged it in yesterday to start mixing something seems to have happened. Two of the channels (3 & 4) just gives out a deep buzzing noise and the meters go haywire. The other channels seem to work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks

As my cloudy brain recalls I've encountered the same issue with the A4.. The A-series has individual monitoring functions for each channel so I'd guess the input monitor is enabled for the specific channels and needs to be turned off. The noise you're hearing might be feedback. It's a pracitcal feature though.

EDIT: Nice machine I'd imagine. The A4 sounds just lovely. Not too clean, not too lo-fi. I prefer the VUs to the LEDs, had problems with flashing LEDs while going to bed after long sessions of recording :rolleyes:

I have an A-8 and used it last night. Please confirm all your signal routing, and tell us what board you're using. It does sound like warmjetguitar above indicates, that is a switch or two in the wrong position. Double check you have your board, monitor switches, and buss assignments all correct.

Hello and thanks for your replies. The problem is that it happens even without connecting the machine to a mixing desk. Basically I can just put the power on and the two meters go on red so Im fairly certain something happened to the machine. I've talked to a repair company and probably I'll just let them take a look at it after all. Thanks for your input though guys.

And yes it is a nice machine :) if only i could record more tracks than 4 simultaneously it would be great but it works fine for me.

If not mentioned already,...

try taking the bottom panel off and reseating the audio cards into the motherboard,... CAREFULLY AND GENTLY.

Beyond that,... from my reading it sounds like it MAY be stuck relays,... creating an unwanted feedback loop.

I'm surprised you can find anyone at all to look at and repair this unit! Good luck!

:spank::eek:;)

Back