Fostex 8 Track Mixer Question!

vitamin worm

hey guys,

a friend just got a Fostex A-8 and doesnt have a mixer for it.

in case you are unfamiliar with the machine, it is an 8 Track reel to reel recorder that has 4 RCA (those red and white things) ins and 8 outs. Which means that you can only record to a maximum of 4 tracks at any given time.

Anyway, i am helping a friend find a mixer for it. We were thinking about getting the Alesis Studio 24, but it is quite out of the price range we were looking at.

We recently came across a mint Fostex 450 mixer really cheap and we came to the conclusion that this may be what we are looking for. For anybody that is familiar with this mixer:

1) can i record 4 tracks at one on it?

and...

2) after the recording is finished would i be able to mix the stuff down using this mixer? would every track have its own fader and eq so he can fuck with them differently

i am new to this whole thing, so if you guys would answer these i would be much obliged!

Thanks!

-vw

vitamin worm said:

1) can i record 4 tracks at one on it?

Does the mixer have 4 outs? If so then yes you can!

[/i]

2) after the recording is finished would i be able to mix the stuff down using this mixer? would every track have its own fader and eq so he can fuck with them differently
[/QUOTE]

You sould be able to do that. Does it have 8 inputs? You may need to get cables with 1/4" on side rca on the other but it sounds do able! Or purchase a 388 and avoid the entire cable mixer blah! HA HA!

hehe ...

i asked him if he wanted the 388, but he already had the Fostex recorder.

thanks for the input chris ... if anybody else has any more info on the mixer i would be much obliged.

thanks,

-vw

I cant tell you anything about the mixer, but I had a A-8 for years and just last year finally replaced both it and my old mixer (they are both gathering dust until I get arround to transfering all my old tapes to digital).

Any mixer with 4 sub outs, or direct outs, or inserts, plus 8 or more inputs, is what you are looking for.

I didn't think the Studio 24 cost that much, what is your budget? If you are very low on cash I would say buy a Behringer - a lot of people here hate them but they are about as inexpensive as a mixer can get. Sound quality wise more than good enough to work with a used A-8.

thanks for the info RWhite.

i am only asking for him because he doesnt have a comp. as far as the budget ... i would say somewhere around $300.

we are both fans of the "lo-fi" sound and are just going to use the machine for demos and shit.

i talked to a guy that is selling one and he says that the 450 is usually paired up with the Fostex R-8, which is the A-8's big brother. i figure this mixer will do fine. it is a little old, but is in spectacular condition.

but if anybody else has any concerns or comments please do let me know!

=vw=

Back