fostex 450-16 troubles

rasdestroyer

hi..
i tried posting this in the fostex forum, didn't get any nibbles; seems like folks over here are more repair-savvy - at least, they discuss working on old equipment more often. here we go.

to preface: concurrent with my posts, i'm searching for a service manual for the 450.. so far i've only found a PDF copy for $45 from music parts.. this seems rather steep, so i'm holding off.. any leads? now then:

i inherited a fostex 450-16 mixer, which i would very much like to use whenever i get my next reel to reel 8 track (had a tascam 50-8OB , which was way, way underutilized and belonged with someone more knowledgeable, which is where it went) .. anyhow, i got the console for free because the 4th buss channel didn't work.. i popped off the back of the mixer and chipped away the (silicone?) gel crap that was reinforcing the four wires that carry the bus signal between the two 8 channel PC boards.. the "4" wire popped loose, as if the only thing holding it on was the dried goop.. i resoldered all four wires, cleaned out everything, took the whole damn mixer apart and checked all the ground wires, plugs, connectors, etc.. everything looks fine..

put it all back together and now, as usual, no signal in any of the buss channels. power comes on, i can send a weak signal through the 1/4" line in of any channel and back out the direct RCA jack, but it seems to me there's no signal getting from the upper boards where the input, buss selector, and aux knobs are to the lower boards where the fader and EQ bars are. i'm getting power on the bottom boards (solo lights work) , and when i turn up the buss master faders on the master amp PC board i can hear a hiss in the headphones (something's there??) except on channel 4, which is, of course, the one i wanted to fix.

as you may have gathered, i'm just tinkering without a lot of know how.. i've done my share of small electronics projects and i'm sure the soldering is OK, didn't melt the board or anything.. what's driving me crazy is that as soon as i opened up the mixer ALL the way, actually took out the boards and checked connectors, etc, all the buss channels conked out..

am i a total idiot? what have i done? i'm gonna need that service manual, right?
thanks
bryan

Fostex 450

Just found your Manuel on eBay. It's a copy of the original. 14 pages I think. I hope this helps. I can't post links so just type in Fostex 450 on eBay.

I’m impressed that he searched nearly three years for a service manual for the OP. :D

Back