Fostex 4030/4035 sync question

ethyrvalve

Norman Nanoweber
Hi all,

I'm slightly confused by the documentation on the Fostex 4030/4035 combo.

I was wondering anyone familiar with these units knows if an interface unit is absolutely necessary for the Master deck to achieve basic synchronization?

I could see that it would be necessary if you were using it as an auto-locator, but say you wanted to simply have another deck chase code off the master deck (or a DAW via a JLCooper PPS-2)...

The setup would be like this:

[Master deck time SMTPE code on edge track or DAW SMTPE via PPS-2]--->[Fostex 4030 Master Code In]

[Slave deck accessory port]--->[Machine-specific Fostex Interface]--->[Fostex 4035 Slave Transport Control Input]

[Slave deck SMPTE code on edge track]--->[Fostex 4030 Slave Code In]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm slightly confused by the documentation on the Fostex 4030/4035 combo.

I was wondering anyone familiar with these units knows if an interface unit is absolutely necessary for the Master deck to achieve basic synchronization?

I could see that it would be necessary if you were using it as an auto-locator, but say you wanted to simply have another deck chase code off the master deck (or a DAW via a JLCooper PPS-2)...

The setup would be like this:

[Master deck time SMTPE code on edge track or DAW SMTPE via PPS-2]--->[Fostex 4030 Master Code In]

[Slave deck accessory port]--->[Machine-specific Fostex Interface]--->[Fostex 4035 Slave Transport Control Input]

[Slave deck SMPTE code on edge track]--->[Fostex 4030 Slave Code In]

Thanks in advance!

Yep, up until about a year ago I had two Fostex R8s synced up using the Fostex 4030 and two made up accessory cables.

Back