Fostex 3040 hookup instructions/mods

Blue Jinn

Rider of the ARPocalypse
Hello,

Picked up one of these 4 channel Dolby C units to experiment with. No manual. Would like to use it with a Teac 22-4. There is a DIN type connector on the back for connection to a Fostex A-4. Wondering if this is like hte control connector on the Tascam dbx units, and if so if it can be easily defeated or some other workaround? Or can this unit be used in a stand alone mode?

Any info or a manual appreciated!

Thanks. Sortof, it is different model for the G16S to play back tapes from another Fostex 1/2" 16 track that encoded using Dolby C rather than S, so it is just a decoder, and it has an 8 pin DIN connector, which according to this manual is for the power and "control signal." The 3040 has a five pin DIN connector, labeled "remote." However, the A-4 manual shows a similar connector which is labeld NR, and its manual says to connect the optional NR unit there, and see its manual for operation...

I may pop the hood to see what goes on in there, and also post over at the Fostex forum.

Thanks

The 3040 was made for the Fostex A-4 (circa 1981) -- their very first 1/4" 4-track machine. The DIN connector on the back is for connecting to the A-4 deck. The deck transport sends signals to the 3040 that put the Dolby C channels into encode or decode depending on whether a channel is recording or playing back. It could probably be molded for use with other machines, but info on the web is scarce. Fostex doesn't have the manual on the web, but you can purchase the user and service manuals here:

http://www.musicparts.com/products.asp?Company=Fostex

I looked at the 3040 years ago with the idea of using it with a half-track. I was thinking about wiring it permanently so two channels were always set to encode and the other two set to decode.

Come to find out much of the calibration for the 3040 is done inside the A-4... not good.

I ended up purchasing two Sony stereo Dolby C units that sound great and are easy to work with.

I wish I had better news for you. I’m sure the 3040 can be fashioned to use with other decks but it’s going to take the manuals and a lot of experimenting. Someone may have already done it… hopefully they’ll find this thread and weigh in.

~Tim
:)

Thanks Beck.

There was a post here from about 5 yrs ago for someone selling two of them with a "cable to connect to an 80-8" The DIN connector is actually 6 pins, vice 5, miscounted. I may get the service manual and check it out. I'm not in any way shape or form a tech, so even if it was some kind of logic control (+5 hi/lo sort of thing, ) im not sure I could fashion such an animal.

I will probably pop the hood this weekend and look inside just to see what is wired.

Not a whole lot to report here, but got a schematic for the A-4 which this was designed to work with. It isn't clear, but it looks like the A-4 sends an 8 volt signal to shift from encode to decode. Will investigate further and post as I get more info...

I don't mean to stir an echo but can we firmly confirm that the 3040 was meant to solely work with the A-4, stock model, and not any others?

Back